Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeff303
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV crashing

Update on my instance of this particular problem.  I contacted TCL customer service since it's brand new and still under warranty.  They sent someone out to replace the logic board and wifi adapter, which I doubted would help since this is clearly a software problem (and I'm using an ethernet connection).  The repair person (contracted by them) agreed with my assessment, but said he'd occasionally seen these kinds of issues fixed by such a repair.  Got everything set up again afterward and haven't seen the problem recur again yet.
0 Kudos
cahiatt
Level 7

I've had two 5105X. Current one is on 7.5.0, build 4101-08. They would always just randomly reboot for no reason. It might happen ten times a day then not happen for two weeks. They'll also lock up a lot on Amazon Prime video when streaming video. Sometimes but not as often it will just lose audio on Netflix or Sling then possibly lockup or hang a few minutes later. Most of the time I just have to unplug the TV to get it to work again. For me the problem actually seemed to get worse on the 7.5 update.

Frustrating to say the least. This was the last TCL TV I will every own.
0 Kudos
thefritz1
Level 7

Just chiming in here that with the 7.5.0 update on Roku and 6.1 (now 6.2) on Amazon I will get crashed now and it will actually knock me off the network. It doesn't happen with ANY other channel Amazon only. Really  frustrating--I have the 1st gen TCL.
0 Kudos
AbramJ
Level 7

We bought the 55" TCL Roku TV from Target a few months ago and were experiencing the same problems as everyone else. It was extremely frustrating, especially for our children. Our Roku 3 and Roku stick work just fine. It's been a couple weeks now since we've had the quitting out of apps problem, thankfully. Now, though, we are experiencing an even more frustrating problem. When the power button is pressed, either on the remote or the TV itself, the light on the front of the TV blinks like it's turning on then goes solid white and will not turn on. At first all we would need to do is unplug and plug the TV back in and it'd work. Now it refuses to turn on even after several times of unplugging and plugging back in. The TV turns on, eventually, but it is a different amount of time every time.

If i can get the TV to turn on tonight I'll post all the information such as serial number, build number, version, etc.
0 Kudos
Tcl55smarttv
Level 7

Wondering if anyone found a solution for this issue other than calling a technician to replace the parts. I have a TCL 55" Roku TV which stopped connecting to the WiFi a few months back and then started crashing ( i.e restarting after freezing for a few seconds and then shutting down when the white light at the bottom becomes a solid white). I have tried resetting to factory settings, also tried using the store mode while plugging in other devices like Roku 2, Amazon Fire stick etc. which worked for some time but then the crashing issue came back. Has anyone considered taking this to better business bureau as the problem seems widespread? 1 person complaining here probably represents 10 more out there.
0 Kudos
pbengels
Level 7

Similar problems with Amazon Prime channel on TCL Roku TV model 40FS4610R...
As did others, I suspected the trouble began with the channel's recent redesign.
No other channels cause the problem -- Amazon Prime crashes and network connection has to be reset.
Since I think the trouble may have originated with Amazon, I'm talking to their tech support about it, but so far nothing they've suggested has worked. De-registering and re-registering the Amazon Prime channel (and unplugging the TV for a few minutes in between) seemed to help at first, but it soon lapsed into chronic crashing again. 
0 Kudos

Just wanted to add my experience here which echos many others. Mine is a TCL Roku TV 5110X, TCL model 40FS3800 running Roku ver 7.5.0 build 4111-08 (though these issues have been present for several versions back, since new.) It is connected via wi-fi to a dedicated channel (no other devices use the 5ghz) on our router which is only 4 feet away. Excellent LAN and wi-fi throughput speeds and more than 30Mbps down available.

Amazon is hit and miss and not very reliable. Netflix is much better. Youtube is and always has been completely unusable - lucky to make it through a single video without a crash. Sometimes the TV hangs and crashes back to home. Sometimes the picture will freeze while sound continues and it will reboot itself completely. Sometimes it will do the aforementioned but completely lock up until the power is pulled or a reset is performed by holding the power button on the TV itself until it cycles. Now for the interesting part - I believe it overheats (I've posted details about my suspicions elsewhere), and my conclusion about this was reached anecdotally. 

Several months ago I purchased a very cheap USB laptop fan - the type with a gooseneck that is meant for cooling a person using a laptop. Around $8 on Amazon. I plugged this into the USB port on the sidepanel of the TCL and positioned the gooseneck so the air-flow went across the vents on the top of the port housing at the back of the TV (which happen to be directly next to that USB port luckily) and immediately our reboot/reset/freezing issues were happening exponentially less, e.g. with light usage a reset would occur around once a day or every other day (sometimes more sometimes less, that's about the average). But since adding this silly little fan the hangs and reboots happen about once a week, more if we've switched apps multiple times but on average it is far, far better. The exception is Youtube - it as bad as it ever was which leads me to believe the Youtube app is simply poorly written. An odd little hack that has worked well enough for us that we just live with the reboots now since they aren't so frequently to frustrate us so much - at the very least its kept me from simply returning the TV, selling it or trying to get warranty service. Maybe that's stupid, but those processes are such a hassle especially when there are third parties involved. 

At any rate, I just wanted to share this experience. Seems these TCL TVs are inadequately cooled.
0 Kudos
Sir_E-Zee
Level 7

This is still happening for me on the TCL Roku. Makes watching anything that is streaming nearly impossible. Had this TV for only 5 months and its been doing it ever since I got it. Terrible.

"erinb2525" wrote:
While streaming the app stops and goes back to the Home screen.  It can be YouTube, Netflix, and it has happened when I was watching live TV via my cable box.  All of a sudden whatever I am watching is gone and I am looking at the TV's home screen.  
0 Kudos
Sir_E-Zee
Level 7

How can I reach out to them? This is driving me insane. Anything I need to provide in order to get them to come out?

"jeff303" wrote:
Update on my instance of this particular problem.  I contacted TCL customer service since it's brand new and still under warranty.  They sent someone out to replace the logic board and wifi adapter, which I doubted would help since this is clearly a software problem (and I'm using an ethernet connection).  The repair person (contracted by them) agreed with my assessment, but said he'd occasionally seen these kinds of issues fixed by such a repair.  Got everything set up again afterward and haven't seen the problem recur again yet.
0 Kudos

"Sir_E-Zee" wrote:
How can I reach out to them? This is driving me insane.  Anything I need to provide in order to get them to come out?  

"jeff303" wrote:

Check out this thread. May likely be a far easier way to fix the problem than going through support and warranty b.s.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 38#p559438

0 Kudos