Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TCL Roku TV crashing

Model information:
Roku TV: 6109X
TCL Model: 50UP120

Software Version: 7.2.0
Build: 4143-22

Issue: After my TV sits for a while (I don't know the actual quantity of time but, over 15 minutes) the remote is no longer responsive. I can't power it back up without removing power from the TV and hard booting it. It also exhibits the locking behavior while using the Amazon Prime app if I pause the show and come back to it later, I have to hard boot the tV. I have not tried to see if I am having the same issue with Netflix and Hulu Plus but I imagine it is the same. While using Hulu Plus however, I have paused the TV and came back to no sound a time or two. It feels like a timeout error that turns off the TV and disables the remote in the same power saving event.
0 Kudos
davidsal28
Level 7

TCL 32 inch
I'm having the exact same issues posted by others here. Is very frustrating. The tv is unusable. Netflix, youtube, plex.... I have to constantly restart the tv by unplugging. I have a roku 3, a new stick and a roku 2 and all work fine on wifi. Please, help...
0 Kudos

Model information:
Roku TV: 6109X
TCL Model: 50UP120

Software Version: 7.2.0
Build: 4143-22

I have been going through the settings disabling things one piece at a time. I have found that by disabling "Device Connect" that all of the lock ups have ceased to plague my TV. This setting can be found in the following location.
From the Home Screen Menu select:
System
--------->Advanced Settings
---------------------------------->Device Connect
------------------------------------------------------->Select "Disable 'Device Connect'
I hope this is as effective for others as it has been for me.
0 Kudos
Infopath
Level 7

Issue: Loss of WiFi every few minutes & Spontaneous reboot.[/font][/color]

Specs:
TCL Roku TV 5110X
TCL Model 40FS3800
version 7.2.0 - build 4143-08

Bought in July 2015 and started having problems almost right away: it would drop the WiFi connection every few minutes and automatically reboot. It didn't matter whether we were watching an internet-dependant show (Netflix or YouTube), or just the satellite (DirectTV). It would turn off and on by itself again and again. After turning off and on, it would sometimes still have no sound -- when that happened we just waited b/c we knew it would reboot again. Sometimes it did it 2 or 3 times before working OK again for 10 or 20 minutes, sometimes less until it rebooted again. 

I made some changes on our router settings -- I changed our wireless channel in our modem to "1" and the Mode to "801.11g Only" -- not sure if it was this, or other things I tinkered with, but everything worked fine (no network drops, no rebootings) for months! 

Then a couple of months ago it started again. Spontaneous system rebooting every few minutes of watching.

Now, if we watched Netflix or YouTube, the network drop becomes evident after a couple of minutes (even if it doesn't reboot right away), so we gave up on that and only watch our satellite -- at least the rebooting is every 10 or 20 minutes.

A few days ago, we noticed that the system had no network connection and wasn't trying to obtain one. And magically, no reboots. No internet either -- we could only watch satellite -- but at least we could watch something for more than 20 minutes.

I then tried and was able to connect again to the internet, but then it started again: dropped connection, rebooting, etc. 

So, I now changed the router channel again (this time to "9" because no one else around us is using that channel); just rebooted spontaneously after about 45 minutes... not too much better. But maybe a bit better. We'll see...

At this point we just want to find a way to have the system forget the network connection and not attempt to connect again and again. Does anyone know if this is possible? At this point we don't even care about Netflix or any internet app -- we just want to be able to watch DirecTV or what we have banked on our DVR without the system rebooting every few minutes.

Thanks for any help...
0 Kudos

"Infopath" wrote:

Infopath:Issue: Loss of WiFi every few minutes & Spontaneous reboot.[/font][/color]

Specs:
TCL Roku TV 5110X
TCL Model 40FS3800
version 7.2.0 - build 4143-08

Bought in July 2015 and started having problems almost right away: it would drop the WiFi connection every few minutes and automatically reboot. It didn't matter whether we were watching an internet-dependant show (Netflix or YouTube), or just the satellite (DirectTV). It would turn off and on by itself again and again. After turning off and on, it would sometimes still have no sound -- when that happened we just waited b/c we knew it would reboot again. Sometimes it did it 2 or 3 times before working OK again for 10 or 20 minutes, sometimes less until it rebooted again. 

I made some changes on our router settings -- I changed our wireless channel in our modem to "1" and the Mode to "801.11g Only" -- not sure if it was this, or other things I tinkered with, but everything worked fine (no network drops, no rebootings) for months! 

Then a couple of months ago it started again. Spontaneous system rebooting every few minutes of watching.

Now, if we watched Netflix or YouTube, the network drop becomes evident after a couple of minutes (even if it doesn't reboot right away), so we gave up on that and only watch our satellite -- at least the rebooting is every 10 or 20 minutes.

A few days ago, we noticed that the system had no network connection and wasn't trying to obtain one. And magically, no reboots. No internet either -- we could only watch satellite -- but at least we could watch something for more than 20 minutes.

I then tried and was able to connect again to the internet, but then it started again: dropped connection, rebooting, etc. 

So, I now changed the router channel again (this time to "9" because no one else around us is using that channel); just rebooted spontaneously after about 45 minutes... not too much better. But maybe a bit better. We'll see...

At this point we just want to find a way to have the system forget the network connection and not attempt to connect again and again. Does anyone know if this is possible? At this point we don't even care about Netflix or any internet app -- we just want to be able to watch DirecTV or what we have banked on our DVR without the system rebooting every few minutes.

Thanks for any help...

I can't speak to the television issues but with regard to your wireless issue there are only 3 usable channels in the 2.4 GHz band (B/G/N/AC Standards). Channels 1,6 and 11 are the only 3 that do not interfere with one another, refer to chart:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7c3HL_eKxP8/ ... annels.png
As you can see, all the channels between the aforementioned just create a noise floor for the usable channels, just as the surrounding channels to your current channel 9 create a noise floor for chanel 9. Both Channels 6 and 11 interfere with channel 9. If your TV has a 5GHz chipset you would be far better served to swap to the less used band unless distance from your Access Point is an issue. The higher the frequency the more power it takes to push the signal the same distance.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

"sonywanholecom" wrote:
...there are only 3 usable channels in the 2.4 GHz band (B/G/N/AC Standards). Channels 1,6 and 11 are the only 3 that do not interfere with one another...

This only works if everyone only uses 1, 6, or 11. It really doesn't make any sense to say only use one of these channels if your neighbors are using 2, 7, and 10, for example. 1, 6, and 11 are no better than any other channel. The idea is to find a channel as far as possible from your strongest neighbor's signal. 1, 6, or 11 is irrelevant unless everyone uses them or for some reason you have 3 APs yourself on different channels.

-JT
0 Kudos

"renojim" wrote:
"sonywanholecom" wrote:
...there are only 3 usable channels in the 2.4 GHz band (B/G/N/AC Standards). Channels 1,6 and 11 are the only 3 that do not interfere with one another...

This only works if everyone only uses 1, 6, or 11.  It really doesn't make any sense to say only use one of these channels if your neighbors are using 2, 7, and 10, for example.  1, 6, and 11 are no better than any other channel.  The idea is to find a channel as far as possible from your strongest neighbor's signal.  1, 6, or 11 is irrelevant unless everyone uses them or for some reason you have 3 APs yourself on different channels.

-JT

That is true and that's why we work with our neighbors to make things better for everyone. If you don't feel comfortable asking your neighbors to coordinate your wireless to optimize the situation then you want to be at least 5 channels away from your strongest neighbor.
0 Kudos
Infopath
Level 7

"sonywanholecom" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
"sonywanholecom" wrote:

This only works if everyone only uses 1, 6, or 11.  It really doesn't make any sense to say only use one of these channels if your neighbors are using 2, 7, and 10, for example.  1, 6, and 11 are no better than any other channel.  The idea is to find a channel as far as possible from your strongest neighbor's signal.  1, 6, or 11 is irrelevant unless everyone uses them or for some reason you have 3 APs yourself on different channels.

-JT

That is true and that's why we work with our neighbors to make things better for everyone. If you don't feel comfortable asking your neighbors to coordinate your wireless to optimize the situation then you want to be at least 5 channels away from your strongest neighbor.

Thanks so much for the tips.
So, I looked and our neighbors'strongest one is on channel 11 (they all have either 11, 6 or 1) -- I switched back to 1 (farthest from the next strongest to mine).
And I have another question... The 802.11, does it matter whether is b, g or n? Should I have it different than the strongest neighbor's signal?
Thanks again!

0 Kudos

"Infopath" wrote:
"sonywanholecom" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
"sonywanholecom" wrote:

-JT

Thanks so much for the tips.
So, I looked and our neighbors'strongest one is on channel 11 (they all have either 11, 6 or 1) -- I switched back to 1 (farthest from the next strongest to mine).
And I have another question... The 802.11, does it matter whether is b, g or n? Should I have it different than the strongest neighbor's signal?
Thanks again

Matching the standard of your neighbors will not impair your networks performance. Use the newest standard that all your client devices will connect to. One thing to bear in mind that may impact your networks performance is that the radio of your wireless access point will only run at the speed of your slowest connected device. What that means in practice is that if all of your client devices are using the N standard except 1 G standard device; The fastest any of your devices will connect is at G standard data rates.
0 Kudos
Mendler23
Level 7

Regardless of wireless channel or frequency, the fact that these tvs auto-exit apps that otherwise are functioning normally most of the time seems to show software issues. You can go right back in and restart the app without issue... until it crashes 5 minuted to 3 hours later. Even when not actually streaming (using xbox for example)
0 Kudos