Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mendler23
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV crashing

Along with Netflix and YouTube, we also experience the Amazon and Nick streaming services auto exit to the home screen and/or freeze. Roku TV even turned off and back on while using the Xbox with it.

Can't really use the tv in any capacity and it seems very common.... where did the support rep go in this thread?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

"Mendler23" wrote:
Can't really use the tv in any capacity and it seems very common....  where did the support rep go in this thread?

RokuShawnS is not a support rep per se - more of a good samaritan, so thread lightly. Your official product support for a TCL TV should be coming from TCL, from what i can tell - so contact them too/first. 

That's a 4k TV. Out of curiosity - what is the firmware# and model# of your TV? 
(See Settings > System > About, "software version" and "Roku TV" lines)
0 Kudos
honshotfirst
Level 7

Same problem. Freezing, primarily on hulu. random jump to home screen or reboot. 

Currently connected a roku stick (first generator) I use when traveling as a temp work around.  TV works fine with through the stick.

I have the 48 inch TCL 
Model 48FS3750
7.2.0 firmware. build 4143-08
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"EnTerr" wrote:
"Mendler23" wrote:
Can't really use the tv in any capacity and it seems very common....  where did the support rep go in this thread?

RokuShawnS is not a support rep per se - more of a good samaritan, so thread lightly. Your official product support for a TCL TV should be coming from TCL, from what i can tell - so contact them too/first. 

Correct-a-mundo!  (though I pull triple duties these days Smiley Very Happy )
While I can't say much as to the status of the Hulu issue, we're aware of it and are actively investigating.  We do hope it's going to be resolved in the next firmware release.  As for the other crashes, we're investigating those as well.  I don't have an ETA on a fix (that's almost always going to be in flux, due to the nature of the issue(s) and firmware builds).

I can also say that I don't see these issues on any of my test units, nor my home "production" units, so some of the issues are harder to pin down.  In cases like these, there may be a number of factors involved, including your local internet and DNS.  I know that's not a satisfactory answer for some of you, but it is what it is.  I spend most of my nights on production firmware trying to reproduce the issues you're reporting, mostly to no avail (all channels are working flawlessly for me, on every unit I have).

I'm monitoring this thread, and comparing it with our beta team tests as well.  I just don't have any answers for you as of yet.
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
honshotfirst
Level 7

Thanks for the update.  

I've been with Roku since LT model.  Went through the interface revamps, Plex beta, the initial youtube on Roku growing pains, and the hulu outages, so I can say Roku will make it right, but it can take a little time.  
0 Kudos
wesleeey
Level 7

I think it might be happening when it cant retrieve the content it needs or something because I haven't seen it buffer or downgrade the video quality to SD (things that would happen when we used a chromecast). The roku tv will either quit back to the roku screen, or freeze up and restart altogether. Our ISP advertises 50 down, and speedtest reflects that but netflix's speed test fast.com will show a number much lower than that on nights and weekends when more people are on. This problem has happened with all apps we've used so far, netflix, youtube, amazon, bravo, hgtv, and mtv but it seems to happen most with netflix. It's happened on app menu screens, a few minutes into a show, and sometimes it will go a few movies without happening at all.

55UP120
version 7.2.0 
build 4143-22
0 Kudos
Sonething
Level 7

I've been having a similar issue watching hulu a lot. It happens every single time I use instant replay more than once or try to rewind. The video pauses, but the audio continues. Sometimes a complete freeze or crash.
0 Kudos

I just bought the TCL 50UP120 last week (late Oct 16) and it has the same problem.  While watching Neflix it exits back to the home stream.  If I try to go back to netflix, it fails and returns to home screen.  Once it switched from Netflix to Amazon all by itself.  If I try powering the TV via remote eventually it gets stuck in the boot up screen .  Unplugging TV from the AC power fixes it for a while.    
Called TCL and they were trying to blame it on my internet.  I have 10M internet.  Speed test confirms my speeds.  Ensured I have the latest software download.   He said the TV requires 9-12M internet (read wifi).  That may be true but who's going to tell you that before you buy.  I have Smart TV fiunction through my Sony DVD Player and it works fine at much lower speeds.

My question would be....How does ROKU react when the internet is a bit slow?   I'm used to the picture freezing or the picture quality going lower

I bought mine at Costco sooooooo, back it goes.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Patjustwatches" wrote:
I just bought the TCL 50UP120 last week (late Oct 16) and it has the same problem.  While watching Neflix it exits back to the home stream.  If I try to go back to netflix, it fails and returns to home screen.  Once it switched from Netflix to Amazon all by itself.  If I try powering the TV via remote eventually it gets stuck in the boot up screen .  Unplugging TV from the AC power fixes it for a while.    
Called TCL and they were trying to blame it on my internet.  I have 10M internet.  Speed test confirms my speeds.  Ensured I have the latest software download.   He said the TV requires 9-12M internet (read wifi).  That may be true but who's going to tell you that before you buy.  I have Smart TV fiunction through my Sony DVD Player and it works fine at much lower speeds.

My question would be....How does ROKU react when the internet is a bit slow?   I'm used to the picture freezing or the picture quality going lower

I bought mine at Costco sooooooo, back it goes.

Netflix should automatically drop resolution to support the available bandwidth. I see 1080 with a 6-7 Mbps stream, so you shouldn't have an issue with 720 or even 1080, as long as nothing else is using your Internet connection. That sounds more like a hardware (TV) issue.
After reading the problems here with the TCL, I just bought an Insignia Roku TV from Best Buy. The first one was defective, but I'm watching the replacement right now and it's working perfectly. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
After reading the problems here with the TCL, I just bought an Insignia Roku TV from Best Buy. The first one was defective, but I'm watching the replacement right now and it's working perfectly. 

Something to keep in mind is there are RokuTV apples (FHD, 5xxx models) and oranges (UHD, 6xxx models). My gut feeling is the differences between the different brands are negligible - but between FHD and 4k there is a sea of difference. More memory, different architecture (graphics accelerator, the CPU likely also switched MIPS->ARM). It is thus wrong to cluster them TCL vs Insignia (aka Hisense, aka Sharp) and the 4k vs non-4k should be looked at separately.
0 Kudos