Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shrlee
Level 7

Defected TCL Roku Tv

I bought a TCL Roku tv at a Walmart Store about 4 months ago.  At first is was working fine, then it started with a loud pop when I changed stations or turned on.  Not all the time but was increasing.  At first I thought well I will deal with it and if it gets worse I will call the company or Walmart.  So it got worse and I was going to call someone, so thought I better check first and see if everything is plugged in good before I call in case it is my fault.   During the process of me trying to check this out the tv got off balance and hit the floor.  I was trying to catch it but being 74 years old I just couldn't.  So when I turned on the tv, I had nothing but a line going across the screen, and no sound.  No communication with the tv at all.  I paid about $400.00 cash for this TCL Roku TV Model 55US57, serial # 1606GTC00056500986.  All of this because of the defect in the tv popping.  So I called the TCL company and they were no help at all and told me to call Walmart.  I called Walmart where I bought the tv and they said to call TCL, and I told them I had already done that.  They asked if I had warranty on it and I didn't know, so I gave them model and serial and asked to check the history in their computer system of sales in electronics.  They said nothing came up when they did this.  Also Walmart told me that a return of electronics was for only 15 days after purchase.  I think I have been snowed at both places.  I will never buy a TCL product again.  I would just like my money back or a new tv be it a TCL or not....it is better than nothing and that is what I have now.
0 Kudos
HighWindCid
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV crashing

I got my TCL Roku about 4 months ago, and in the last month it's been returning to the home screen when using Netflix. No indication that I pressed the home button, remote is on the table. I've removed the power cable, done a factory reset, deleted the app and reinstalled it. No changes - image will sometimes freeze, audio keeps going, and other times it just instantly shoots back to the home screen. This will also happen in the HBO Now app as well. It's... Frustrating.
0 Kudos
Problem
Level 7

Problem solved: 1. Us the power button and the bottom of the TV to shut down the TV.
2.Unplug the power cord out of the back of the TV. 
3. Press and hold the power button under the TV for about 30 seconds. This part drains all power from the TV remaining on the circut board.
4. Plug in the TV and power it on using the power button under the TV.
TV should perform as normal.
This worked on my TV.
0 Kudos
shrlee
Level 7

Re: Defected TCL Roku Tv

"shrlee" wrote:
I bought a TCL Roku tv at a Walmart Store about 4 months ago.  At first is was working fine, then it started with a loud pop when I changed stations or turned on.  Not all the time but was increasing.  At first I thought well I will deal with it and if it gets worse I will call the company or Walmart.  So it got worse and I was going to call someone, so thought I better check first and see if everything is plugged in good before I call in case it is my fault.   During the process of me trying to check this out the tv got off balance and hit the floor.  I was trying to catch it but being 74 years old I just couldn't.  So when I turned on the tv, I had nothing but a line going across the screen, and no sound.  No communication with the tv at all.  I paid about $400.00 cash for this TCL Roku TV Model 55US57, serial # 1606GTC00056500986.  All of this because of the defect in the tv popping.  So I called the TCL company and they were no help at all and told me to call Walmart.  I called Walmart where I bought the tv and they said to call TCL, and I told them I had already done that.  They asked if I had warranty on it and I didn't know, so I gave them model and serial and asked to check the history in their computer system of sales in electronics.  They said nothing came up when they did this.  Also Walmart told me that a return of electronics was for only 15 days after purchase.  I think I have been snowed at both places.  I will never buy a TCL product again.  I would just like my money back or a new tv be it a TCL or not....it is better than nothing and that is what I have now.
0 Kudos

"Problem" wrote:
Problem solved: 1. Us the power button and the bottom of the TV to shut down the TV.
3. Press and hold the power button under the TV for about 30 seconds. This part drains all power from the TV remaining on the circut board.
This worked on my TV.

That works, but you have to do that near everyday. I just started having this problem with Amazon, but it stopped on its own, now they problem moved to Netflix and Syfy. 8.0 update can't come soon enough.
0 Kudos
Xzingq
Level 7

Just bought TCL Roku 55" TV model 55S401
from Walmart 2 weeks ago. Approximately a week ago started experiencing Netflix randomly stopping and then the TV would return to the Roku main menu.
Have Netflix Version 4.2 Build 80479018 installed. Been looking through this and other forums but can't find solution.

Have tried:
Updating software
Uninstall/reinstall of Netflix
Factory Reboot and new install of Netflix
Shut off "test" on Netflix account from website.

NOTE: Problem only occurs while watching something NOT while sitting in Netflix menu.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
0 Kudos
sturat5150
Level 7

I am having the same issue using Amazon Prime Video app.
Just purchased the 65" TCL HDR Roku TV about 5 days ago. Everything updated successfully on initial setup. 
Now, when using the Amazon Video App. Video plays for around 1 minute then the app crashes and takes me to Roku home page.
0 Kudos
Cire8002
Level 7

I have the same issues but mine is a
5103X
40FS4610R
2N00AM700633
0 Kudos
Xzingq
Level 7

UPDATE:
I followed the below instructions to the letter. I admit I did not prior to my initial post.

After doing this I had no further problems. I turned off the TV and it still worked. To be clear though, I did read that others were having problems despite this potential fix.

Currently, I'm away and can not see if the problem is 100% resolved. So, I will check back in a week and report the outcome.

"drjekel_mrhyde" wrote:
"Problem" wrote:
This worked on my TV.

That works, but you have to do that near everyday. I just started having this problem with Amazon, but it stopped on its own, now they problem moved to Netflix and Syfy. 8.0 update can't come soon enough.
0 Kudos
kriddle
Level 7

So, I've been researching this issue and in a post from 2014, someone said reset Roku by using "the code". Since I didn't have anything to lose, I tried it. If I remember correctly it was hit the home button 5x, hit the up button 1x, hit the rewind button 2x, hit the fast forward button 2x. It then scrolls through the menu by itself, and then turns off then on (slowly). I did this several hours ago and I've been able to watch with no problems.
0 Kudos