Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinb2525
Level 7

TCL Roku TV crashing

I searched the forum and did not see anything specifically about this topic so if I have missed it I apologize.

Last month I purchased a 55-inch UHD Roku TV by TCL.  When I am watching TV, be it either via one of the apps or via the cable box connected to the TV, it will crash and go back to the home screen.  I have already done a factory reset and it is still happening. TCL says it is a Roku problem and a new software version is coming out on the 22nd which will fix it. 

Is that true or is TCL just deflecting?  I'm sure I can get a new TV but would rather not go through the hassle since I bought if off Amazon on Prime Day and would have to ship it back.  
0 Kudos
105 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: TCL Roku TV crashing

Yes, it's true.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
erinb2525
Level 7

I'm glad to hear I don't have to return the TV!

Thanks for the response!
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

Can you like, mention the model# affected and the firmware version (d)effected?
I have TCL RokuTV and have not seen crashes, what should i beware of?
0 Kudos
erinb2525
Level 7

Model number 55US5800, most recent software version 7.2.0, build 4143-22

Just updated the software on 8/23, still experiencing crashing.  I am waiting to hear back from TCL, thinking I am going to need to get the TV replaced unfortunately.  Unless anyone else can think of something I might try?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

Try describing the behavior in details, not just "crashing". 

Roku can mis-behave in multiple ways and most of them are not crashing. Roku player crash is only when you see it restart (the bouncing purple Roku logo). Much more often it's individual apps having problems but you must describe what exactly see happening (black screens, blue screens, purple screens, any messages etc)
0 Kudos
erinb2525
Level 7

While streaming the app stops and goes back to the Home screen.  It can be YouTube, Netflix, and it has happened when I was watching live TV via my cable box.  All of a sudden whatever I am watching is gone and I am looking at the TV's home screen.  
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

It almost sounds as if you (or a family member) pressed the Home button on the remote (or in remote app for mobile). I have never seen RokuTV on its own volition exit from HDMI input.

When these exits happen, do you hear the "clunk" sound, as when Home was pressed - or do they happen silently?
0 Kudos
erinb2525
Level 7

"EnTerr" wrote:
It almost sounds as if you (or a family member) pressed the Home button on the remote (or in remote app for mobile). I have never seen RokuTV on its own volition exit from HDMI input.

When these exits happen, do you hear the "clunk" sound, as when Home was pressed - or do they happen silently?

It is silent, it does not make the sound that I hear if the home button is pressed.
0 Kudos
erinb2525
Level 7

I am still having this problem.  I have purchased a new router, had my internet service provider out twice to ensure my network was working properly, and even added a powerline adapter to create a wired connection to my router....nothing has worked.  The TV keeps returning to the home screen while I am in the middle of watching something with no warning, and it happens EVERY SINGLE DAY.  I bought the TV in July, it is brand new.

I feel like I've tried everything...is there anything else I can do?  Is the TV defective?  
0 Kudos