Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elgrayso
Reel Rookie

TCL Roku TV can not properly display HDMI input from Windows 10 PC

Roku TV (TCL 65R617)

Windows 10 PC

Nvidia 1080Ti graphics card

HDMI 2.0 30ft cable

Instead of hooking my PC up to my second monitor, which does work, I used that same HDMI port to plug in a long cable I bought which goes directly into the TCL tv.

This cable works with the TCL tv when I tried connecting my MacBook, but the pc does not work in either the Nvidia port OR the motherboard HDMI graphics port on the pc. It says there is no signal.

If I change the HDMI source to 1.4 or Auto, it slightly works. The screen shows up, but if I try to play a game the screen flashes, sometimes showing the blue colors show up as orange. Then when I try to play a game on steam, the screen looks like a complete scramble. 

I have read other people have issues with connecting their TCL to the PC with a specific update, but those discussions weren’t a year ago and I tried all their solutions. I tried lowering the frame rate, lowering the resolution, in both Windows and Nvidias control panel. I also tried the “full screen” option which some said worked, but it did not improve my situation. 

To clarify, these are all issues when using the 1.4 HDMI option. My goal is to use 2.0 HDMI and display 4K (or at least 2k) at 60hz, which the TV should be capable of. My original monitor will also be on and this will be a mirror of that. 

Let me know if there is a solution. 
thanks

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
MusicCityTiger
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL Roku TV can not properly display HDMI input from Windows 10 PC

I have a brand new TCL 43" 4K that I am using as my PC monitor.  I went through 3 different HDMI cables before the TV was detected correctly by Windows 10 and I got 4k as a display option. It is definitely a cable issue. The one I got it working on was a Monoprice thin series High Speed (18Gbps) HDMI cable.   They are only about $8, so you may want to try that.   I have it plugged in to the HDMI port of my Nvidia GTX970 and it is working fine now.

0 Kudos
Idk1

So the TV can detect when windows is active, but you need a good HDMI cable?

0 Kudos
MusicCityTiger
Channel Surfer

Yes, you just need a good quality, HDMI 2.0 (or better) compliant cable.  Mine has been working fine for months now after I swapped my old cable with a new one.

0 Kudos
vtaylor100

Had a similar problem. Solved it by going to settings/display/advanced settings for multiple displays. Choose display 2 and then adjust frame rate. For me, when I changed it and then allowed it to revert, it shows the correct frame rate and everything worked fine after that. Hope it works for you.

0 Kudos

Try going into the Nvidia settings and under change resolution settings, changing the output color depth from 8 bpc to 12 bpc. My problem was the screen would flash black(reset) whenever video loaded(from ads or programs) multiple times. Took me forever to figure it out. Works with Win7 and Win10.

0 Kudos