Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Akajoseph
Level 7

TCL Roku TV R617 turn on Onkyo receiver

I will like to disable my TCL Roku TV from turning on my receiver when ever the TV is turned on. With my previous TV (Samsung) I was able to have HDMI ARC enabled but not have it power on receiver when TV is powered on. Is it possible to change this behavior. I see (system standby) option in CEC option. That will power off receiver when TV is powered off. I don’t see a way to not have receiver powered on with TV and keep HDMI ARC enabled...second issue: inserting headphone jack to tv audio out port disable sound from TV speakers. Lol. That is just to funny. Samsung and Sony understands sometimes people attach wireless headphones for older people to listen better while watching TV with other people in the room. TCL don’t think so. Lol.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: TCL Roku TV R617 turn on Onkyo receiver

The vast majority of consumer electronics will disable speakers when headphones are connected. I can remember little transistor radios doing that way back in the 60s. Yeah, I'm that old.  Smiley LOL Usually the best way to get audio from both speakers and headphones is to use an aux out to feed a separate audio amp and plug the headphones into it. Yeah, annoying for the use you desire. 
In your Roku menu there is a setting labeled One Touch Control. This is the CEC function, so turning that off should separate any control between the two. Now if that affects ARC, I can't say. I know with my Samsung TV I have to have Anynet (CEC) enabled for ARC to work, but your set may be different. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

One-Touch Play does not enable CEC. That is done with the ARC (HDMI 3) setting.

One-Touch Play, if enabled, allows the TV to switch HDMI inputs automatically to whatever device connected to an HDMI input has initiated a PLAY request. For instance, you can insert a disc into a Blu-Ray player on HDMI 1 and press PLAY on Blu-Ray player and the TV will know to switch to HDMI 1 input as the disc begins to play.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"Akajoseph" wrote:
I will like to disable my TCL Roku TV from turning on my receiver when ever the TV is turned on. With my previous TV (Samsung) I was able to have HDMI ARC enabled but not have it power on receiver when TV is powered on. Is it possible to change this behavior. I see (system standby) option in CEC option. That will power off receiver when TV is powered off. I don’t see a way to not have receiver powered on with TV and keep HDMI ARC enabled...second issue: inserting headphone jack to tv audio out port disable sound from TV speakers. Lol. That is just to funny. Samsung and Sony understands sometimes people attach wireless headphones for older people to listen better while watching TV with other people in the room. TCL don’t think so. Lol.

I don't think it is possible to not have receiver turned on when it is connected via HDMI and CEC is enabled. A majority of people want that device to power on as the TV is powered on. I understand that your use case may be different. I would guess that the only way not to have the receiver power on is if you switched from HDMI connection to an Optical audio connection to receiver. You would lose the ability to control volume of receiver with Roku remote, but if you are using a Universal Remote, that may not be an issue.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"blade_005" wrote:

One-Touch Play, if enabled, allows the TV to switch HDMI inputs automatically to whatever device connected to an HDMI input has initiated a PLAY request. For instance, you can insert a disc into a Blu-Ray player on HDMI 1 and press PLAY on Blu-Ray player and the TV will know to switch to HDMI 1 input as the disc begins to play.

One Touch Play is the Roku label for CEC. Just like Samsung calls it AnyNet +. If it is on, then hitting a Roku remote button will (usually) cause the TV and/or the AVR to change to the correct input. If the TV and/or AVR is turned off, it will turn them on, then change the inputs. If you turn One Touch Play off in the Roku menu, none of that will occur. Since I don't have either of my Roku TVs connected to an AVR, I've never looked at the HDMI settings, so I accept what you say appears in the TCL menu. Since I have a Sharp and Insignia Roku TV, it's always possible the menus differ. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"atc98092" wrote:
"blade_005" wrote:

One Touch Play is the Roku label for CEC. Just like Samsung calls it AnyNet +. If it is on, then hitting a Roku remote button will (usually) cause the TV and/or the AVR to change to the correct input. If the TV and/or AVR is turned off, it will turn them on, then change the inputs. If you turn One Touch Play off in the Roku menu, none of that will occur. Since I don't have either of my Roku TVs connected to an AVR, I've never looked at the HDMI settings, so I accept what you say appears in the TCL menu. Since I have a Sharp and Insignia Roku TV, it's always possible the menus differ. 

I was incorrect about ARC (HDMI 3) enabling CEC. That is done through the SEARCH FOR CEC DEVICES process from the CEC menu. If external device (Soundbar, AVR, etc.) has CEC enabled then the device will be discovered.

I do not have external devices connected, other than a soundbar to the HDMI 3 (ARC) input. I do not have ONE TOUCH PLAY enabled and I still have CEC control of the soundbar via the Roku TCL remote for ON / OFF and VOLUME control. I agree that ONE TOUCH PLAY will do as you described. One touch of an external devices remote will trigger the system to turn on and switch to the proper input source. But, I don't think that has to be enabled in order to control the ON / OFF and VOLUME of a soundbar or AVR system.

There are four (4) menu options below the SEARCH FOR CEC DEVICES option in menu on my Roku TCL set.

1. ARC (HDMI 3)

2. System Audio Control

3. One-Touch Play

4. System Standby

1, 2 and 4 are enabled and that allows control of the soundbar with the Roku TCL remote for ON / OFF and VOLUME control.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Not doubting you in the least. But I'm wondering if the Roku remote is controlling your soundbar via IR, and not using CEC? Or, the TCL TV has different settings than a standalone Roku player, which is absolutely possible as well.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"atc98092" wrote:
Not doubting you in the least. But I'm wondering if the Roku remote is controlling your soundbar via IR, and not using CEC? Or, the TCL TV has different settings than a standalone Roku player, which is absolutely possible as well.  Smiley Very Happy

Nothing was done to 'teach' Roku remote any soundbar commands. Plus, turning ON and OFF the TV turns the soundbar ON and OFF. Just as a CEC controlled device should work. I was just wrong in earlier post stating that enabling the ARC (HDMI 3) setting enabled CEC. That just tells the system to pass through audio from TV to the soundbar or AVR device connected to HDMI 3. CEC was enabled when I first set up the TV, connected my Vizio soundbar via HDMI to ARC HDMI 3 port and had the system SEARCH for CEC enabled devices. It found the Vizio soundbar and if you select SYSTEM AUDIO CONTROL in the CEC menu, that allows you to control soundbar volume with the Roku remote and not have to touch the soundbar remote.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I'm sitting at my Insignia TV right now, and I see a completely different menu from the Roku players for CEC. Since I don't have anything connected to this set, I had never noticed this menu.  Smiley Surprisedops: And I do see that 1-Touch Play is a separate setting from ARC and System Audio Control. From what this menu shows, I expect you have to enable all three for the Roku remote to turn on other devices and switch inputs as necessary. 
Just a guess, but from a couple of other comments I've read here, the remote might learn how to control something via IR after the CEC connection is made. So that could account for the remote still controlling the soundbar volume without CEC enabled. Just a guess...
Dan
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"atc98092" wrote:
I'm sitting at my Insignia TV right now, and I see a completely different menu from the Roku players for CEC. Since I don't have anything connected to this set, I had never noticed this menu.  Smiley Surprisedops: And I do see that 1-Touch Play is a separate setting from ARC and System Audio Control. From what this menu shows, I expect you have to enable all three for the Roku remote to turn on other devices and switch inputs as necessary. 
Just a guess, but from a couple of other comments I've read here, the remote might learn how to control something via IR after the CEC connection is made. So that could account for the remote still controlling the soundbar volume without CEC enabled. Just a guess...

If I disable SYSTEM AUDIO CONTROL in CEC menu my Roku TCL remote no longer can adjust the volume on my soundbar. Enable it and it can. At least for a Roku-enabled TCL set, CEC is enabled when you perform the SEARCH FOR CEC DEVICES and it discovers a connected device that is CEC capable. All other CEC menu settings are for specific features once CEC is enabled. (Pass audio thru, System Audio Control, One-Touch Play and System Standby for ON/OFF with TV) Your Insignia TV may be different as may Roku external devices.
0 Kudos