Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
7h4tguy
Level 7

TCL P605 gray screen issues

I have a TCL P605 that's only 6m old and it has what look to be firmware issues - when the TV auto shuts off, when I next turn it on it only displays a gray screen (menu and TV e.g. Netflix volume is still audible).

This occurs every single day.  It only started happening with the forced 8.0 update.  The factory firmware was flawless for me for several months.  I've reset the TV dozens of times, tried to manually flash firmware - but that only lets you update to latest firmware, not do basic troubleshooting by trying a previous firmware to isolate the problem.

I'm now left with an expensive brick.  I have to reset the TV every single day and it takes multiple tries of holding the reset button in (looks like a timing related bug).

Is this a known issue?  Can someone get me off this firmware?  (7103X, 8.0.0 build 4183-30).
0 Kudos
3 Replies
7h4tguy
Level 7

Re: TCL P605 gray screen issues

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

You may be able to work around this... Try going to Settings > System > Power > Fast TV Start and changing the setting to Enabled.  This will have the TV go into a screen off mode, but it won't go completely into suspend.  This might fix the panel initialization issue causing a gray screen.
0 Kudos
7h4tguy
Level 7

I've tried that.  I've been troubleshooting this for months.  The TV always is capable to resetting to a perfectly vibrant screen.  All HDMI, Ethernet inputs unplugged and it still reproduces.  It's the firmware 98%.  The TV is only 6m old and worked perfectly for months on the 7.X series firmware.  I just want a TV at this point, I could care less about a smart TV or Roku channels.
0 Kudos