Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Help: Audio out of sync new TCL TV 4 Series 65S421

@Venturafan , I don't think the "leveling" option exists anymore(?). I've seen people complaining about Roky removing it (how they can't watch tv early morning or late night without disturbing everyone). 

I just pressed * while watching the YouTube app. I get a menu bar on the left side. One option is "sound mode," (not volume mode), but no option for "leveling." Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Visitor45763 Yes, make sure that there's nothing enabled in Sound Mode. 

Different TV brands offer different types of sound settings. My Sharp Roku TV has both the Sound Mode selection as well as some additional modes under Sound Settings. Be sure you check them both. Any sort of sound processing might cause the sync issues. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

::Edit:: After talking to TCL support, a firmware update on my TCL Alto 9+ soundbar seems to have solved the audio sync problem mentioned below. TCL support was actually very good.

Same issue here.  Using a TCL Series 4 Roku TV with a TCL Alto 9+ soundbar.   You'd think they would be designed to work well with each other but nope,   I have the soundbar connected via ARC HDMI and also via Optical.  I'm getting a noticeable audio delay of between 50 and 200ms.   After a lot of experimenting I've found that it's actually worse when using the TV's internal apps like Youtube and Netflix.   When I'm using external devices like my cable box or a Firestick and have the TV's audio set to Auto-Passthrough, the delay isn't as bad as it is with the TV's internal apps.  Leads me to believe the problem is 100% the TV.  It has been over 2 years now since the first post on this thread and still no solution.

You can hear the delay very clearly when using the internal apps and the soundbar's Optical input.  This lets me have both the soundbar and the TVs speakers on at the same time.  When doing this, there's a clear approximately 150ms delay between the TV speakers and the soundbar. 

What's even more strange is that the delay varies.  Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less, it even changes from second to second....I can be watching a Youtube video and the delay time will change at random...sometimes it's more in sync, a few seconds later it's out of sync, then it's closer to being in sync again....

Some TVs have an AV sync setting that works in both directions to adjust depending on whether the video or audio are delayed.  The TCL soundbar has an AV Sync feature but it only lets you add more audio delay, which is the exact opposite of what I need to do.

I really like the value TCL TVs provide but I don't know that I'll buy another TCL tv since they can't seem to fix this after several years.    I don't understand why they don't just add an AV Sync feature to the Roku OS that lets you adjust the sync in both directions. 

BTW, maybe this will help anyone with a Firestick but the newer Firesticks have an AV Sync setting that works both directions.  I was able to use this to fix the Firestick sync, but the TV's internal Roku apps are still out of sync with no way to fix it.    Sure, I can get most of the Roku apps on the Firestick but not all of them, and not using the built in Roku apps kind of defeats the purpose of having a Roku TV.

Very disappointing. 

thatamarks

RE: SOUND DELAY PROBLEM FIXED!

So basically, after trying all I could and also searching all over the internet, just by "accident" I could fix this annoying delay sound issue!

My TV sound setting was:

Digital audio out: Auto 

And I switched to : PCM 

Just go to sound settings and advanced settings, after switching to PCM mode you'll also see a digital audio delay setting

#sounddelay #tcltvsound 

0 Kudos
rackflot
Channel Surfer

Re: RE: SOUND DELAY PROBLEM FIXED!

Glad it worked for you, I have it set for that and have no difference what output type I use. I label it as junk now. Will give to someone and let them see if it works for them. I have an older Samsung TV and that may be an issue but I don't think it should matter . My energy bar worked fine until it failed. 

Mark_H-
Streaming Star

Unfortunately switching to PCM only works if you are working with two channel audio. If you use ARC for surround sound this does not work.

@thatamarks wrote:

So basically, after trying all I could and also searching all over the internet, just by "accident" I could fix this annoying delay sound issue!

My TV sound setting was:

Digital audio out: Auto 

And I switched to : PCM 

Just go to sound settings and advanced settings, after switching to PCM mode you'll also see a digital audio delay setting

#sounddelay #tcltvsound 

GuitarMan
Roku Guru

The problem with changing your audio to PCM is that on that setting it will only output a regular stereo signal.  No Dolby or anything like that. 

Redfell
Channel Surfer

Add me to the list of users experiencing ARC (not eARC) delays on the 75R635. When trying to passthrough an Atmos signal for example, it'll hover around the 400-500ms mark.

TCL50user
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL 55R615 Audio Delay

I ended up returning this and got my money back from Amazon. Splashed out on an OLED from LG and it is amazing. Best decision I ever made. Amazing picture and sound works perfect. My TCL also had faint lines going down the screen - very obvious when watching a football match. If you can splash out on an OLED, I recommend it. You will have less stress and every viewing experience is so enjoyable. HDR looks so so good.

ChromeisBetter
Streaming Star

Re: TCL 55R615 Audio Delay

I suggested this over 3 years ago. No joke!