Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bguscott
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL 55R615 Audio Delay

Following up, with auto-passthrough selected  Ino longer have any delay with 5.1 sources (such as my PS4). However, with stereo sources I now experience a delay. If I go back and select "PCM-stereo" in the Roku audio settings then the stereo lag disappears.

Seems like Roku is almost there, but still has some bugs. 

Maybe setting an audio setting per HDMI input could be a quick workaround? Otherwise, having the detected audio pass through change for 5.1 and stereo sources dynamically would be the preferred option.

0 Kudos

Did the update. Changed to auto passthrough. Audio delay seems gone but surround sound is not working. Ifnibswitch back to auto select it works. 

Seems like it's almost fixed but not a daily driver yet. 

0 Kudos
bguscott
Binge Watcher

I seem to only get surround over HDMI ARC, and only stereo over SPDIF.

Changing the audio output of my HDMI source doesn't seem to trigger autodetect for the passthrough for the new audio source.

0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Streaming Star

@dwag0588 wrote:

I think I might have accidentally fixed this issue today. Go to your settings, then into the pair new device or remote menu. Start to pair a new Roku speaker. This will trigger a software update. Once the update installs, you will have a new option under your audio settings for “auto Pass-through”. Auto pass-through fixed the issue but was not giving me 5.1 sound. I changed back to auto-detect and now I have no detectable audio delay. I haven’t been listening long, so it may come back, but I think the software update related to the Roku speakers has fixed this problem for me. 

Didn't work for me on my 55R615. "Auto Pass Through" was worse. My test movie is Gemini Man on Vudu. Seems to be the most taxing movie. It came through fine as DD+ on my receiver but audio delay was probably around 500ms if not more. Switching back to "Auto Detect" at least didn't make it worse.

I also have to throw this out there. There are quite a few people in this thread that have other models other than the R615/617 and hardware might be different. 

0 Kudos
bguscott
Binge Watcher

Just a note, if you don't have any game consoles have you tried disabling "game mode"? It adds a video delay so even though there's an input lag, at least the video and audio were in sync for me.

When I plug my PS4 directly into the tv and not into any splitters, using audio passthrough provides Dolby 5.1 without delay. However, my switch outputting stereo still experienced a delay when directly connected to the tv.

Still not enough of a win so I'm still using my optical switch to bypass the tv for audio entirely.

0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Streaming Star

@bguscott wrote:

Just a note, if you don't have any game consoles have you tried disabling "game mode"? It adds a video delay so even though there's an input lag, at least the video and audio were in sync for me.

When I plug my PS4 directly into the tv and not into any splitters, using audio passthrough provides Dolby 5.1 without delay. However, my switch outputting stereo still experienced a delay when directly connected to the tv.

Still not enough of a win so I'm still using my optical switch to bypass the tv for audio entirely.

My issue is with the built in apps. Well, basically just Vudu because that's where I watch most of my UHD/DV content. Any 1080p content is fine with DD/DD+.  Game mode is only for sources hooked up to the TV.  My PS4 Pro is hooked up to the AVR and get uncompressed PCM 5.1 and has no delay. I have also had it hooked up to the TV and audio over ARC was fine. Modern Warfare 1440p, HDR, DTS over ARC and "Game Mode" with zero delay. 

0 Kudos
Threegeese
Binge Watcher

@dwag0588 wrote:

I think I might have accidentally fixed this issue today. Go to your settings, then into the pair new device or remote menu. Start to pair a new Roku speaker. This will trigger a software update. Once the update installs, you will have a new option under your audio settings for “auto Pass-through”. Auto pass-through fixed the issue but was not giving me 5.1 sound. I changed back to auto-detect and now I have no detectable audio delay. I haven’t been listening long, so it may come back, but I think the software update related to the Roku speakers has fixed this problem for me. 

The R625 also updated when I selected the pair new speaker option (I can’t actually pair a speaker since I have a Vizio soundbar but it still worked). I have my audio on Auto Dectect and will try some Dolby Atmos and general audio sync test from my Apple TV and Comcast x1 cable box. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChromeisBetter
Streaming Star

That sucks! I'm using an optical cable to to feed the tv and have 2 other optical cables bypassing the TV straight to my older non-HDMI Sony AVR (android box and ps4 OG) Both of these have minimal lag at around 150 ms. These don't normally bother me as the android box has an audio delay option (which the OS is lacking) and the PS4 is mostly used late at night with Turtle Beaches headsets for COD. The Hulu built in app currently works perfectly since its stereo but other apps (e.g Netflix) not so much they've around 250 ms delay including the USB connection which if any advanced audio is feed into it or is a DTS variance it's like half a second sometimes which is absolutely brutal. I wonder if I should this temp fix. My girlfriend literally almost always uses Hulu for **bleep** TV shows and has NO technical skills so I don't want bother by her ever single time she watch TV id I apply this. Is it easy to go back to the current state??? Is it as easy as telling her to use PCM in sound settings for hulu or to turn on the PS4 hulu app to watch  **bleep** shows while I enjoy my surround sound in peace. Happy at least something being done it's been a long two years.  Mod Tanner any input or updates????

0 Kudos
ChromeisBetter
Streaming Star

please provide feedback once you try things out and thanks

0 Kudos
Anders138

I've been trying to find a solution to this for a year and a half, it's been driving me nuts having to go to audio and reseting it to PCM every hour or two. I think forcing the update and switching to auto passthrough might have actually done it. You're amazing, I love you

Edit: this is the solution from dwag0588 I used "I think I might have accidentally fixed this issue today. Go to your settings, then into the pair new device or remote menu. Start to pair a new Roku speaker. This will trigger a software update. Once the update installs, you will have a new option under your audio settings for “auto Pass-through”. Auto pass-through fixed the issue but was not giving me 5.1 sound. I changed back to auto-detect and now I have no detectable audio delay. I haven’t been listening long, so it may come back, but I think the software update related to the Roku speakers has fixed this problem for me."

0 Kudos