Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Turnip
Streaming Star

Re: Audio Delay Fix

Thanks.  

I'm shocked bya ll this.  These TVs have such a good rating and 2 of my good friends have them (1 the exact same model I do and another has Series 7). 

I also used to work with Roku the company so shocked they aren't doing something about this. 

I guess I have to return it.  

Any reco's on an alternative? in the past I always bought Samsung but I will probably just buy another Roku Express and hook it up to whatever I buy.  I had such a good deal on this TCL too ($428 plus tax)

0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Streaming Star

Not sure what happened to my post but I was just going to tell you to return it if you still can. Having audio issue with my P605 and now my R615, I am done with TCL for the time being. It has made me buy an AVR which I didn't really need and now contemplating buying another streaming box (Nvidia shield is the only device that supports Dolby Vision and I don't own any Apple devices so I don't want an Apple TV). But even with the AVR and ARC, there is still noticeable lip sync issues with some, not all content. 

Turnip
Streaming Star

To be clear, I'm a huge Roku fan. I have bought many Roku's over the years for myself, friend and family. and even had the original version. 

I was so exited to get this TCL Roku TV but am so dissappointed by this sound issue. Assuming I can return it, what TV is good and doesn't have a similar issue?

I used to always buy Samsungs. I have a top of the line 55" from around 2015 that is great. 

But i just started researching for replacements to the TCL 65" and I found many threads on Samsung boards about people complaining about similar audio lag issues in 2019 and 2019 models so now I'm afraid to buy a Samsung!

Help! 

(Whatever I do buy I will buy a Roku box and attach it because I prefer the Roku OS).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Turnip wrote:

To be clear, I'm a huge Roku fan. I have bought many Roku's over the years for myself, friend and family. and even had the original version. 

I was so exited to get this TCL Roku TV but am so disappointed by this sound issue. Assuming I can return it, what TV is good and doesn't have a similar issue?

I used to always buy Samsungs. I have a top of the line 55" from around 2015 that is great. 

But i just started researching for replacements to the TCL 65" and I found many threads on Samsung boards about people complaining about similar audio lag issues in 2019 and 2019 models so now I'm afraid to buy a Samsung!

I have a Sharp Roku TV, and it's been stellar. But I have nothing external connected to it, so can't say if it would have any audio issues with an AVR or soundbar. 

I also have two Samsung sets (JU7100 and NU7100). The JU only has a Shield connected, but the NU has a Shield and a Roku Ultra. Both sets have a Yamaha AVR with the audio sent from the TV via ARC. I plug nothing directly into the sets, as everything connects to the AVRs. The only audio issues I've ever heard was from YouTube videos, and since many of them are poor rips from VHS or DVDs, I don't place much stock in that as a problem. 😄

Of course, neither of my Samsungs are considered 2019 models, so keep that in mind as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Streaming Star

I would just go for the a Vizo around that price range or higher. Best Buy has the Vizio Quantum M series 65" on sale for $599 from $749. Before I had gotten my P605 in 2018 I had gotten the M series around the same price and while the picture was slightly better with a little less brightness and no Dirty Screen Effect like all TCLs, my eyes were sensitive to the PWM of 120HZ blacklight of that Vizio, didn't have eye strain on the TCL. What is your budget? 

0 Kudos
Turnip
Streaming Star

My budget was originally under $500 which is why I bought the TCL, but i was about to get one of the Samsungs for like $600 and then of course I was like maybe I should get the next model up for $700. 

Definitely $800 or less. 

For some reason I always stayed away from Vizio.  But at this point I want a brand that is good and won't give me the lag issue.

SEPARATELY: I just read on the Samsung boards that the Spectrum cable box has audio settings and they reocmmended setting it to "PCM" ...NOT DOLBY. 

I looked at my box and it had choices of HDMI (which it was on), DOLBY or "OTHER".  So far neither Dolby nor Other fixed it. 

It also had a Stereo setting which was Compact, Normal and something else (My SO is watching now and he thinks i'm CRAZY and doesn't see any problem to begin with, which is also part of the stress of this whole situation! so I can'at go in now and play with it) 

0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Streaming Star

So quick question? Are you running optical to a receiver or soundbar, ARC, or using TV speakers? As far as Vizio is concerned they have always been a solid choice. First Vizio I saw was my sister's plazma go for 7 or so years, our bedroom TV is a 32" 1080p Vizio still going strong and it was used for a few years as a main TV and my step son who moved in has 2 Vizios that are a number of years old. He does run the non-smart Vizio to a soundbar that has no issues and our TV in the bedroom is hooked up to a 2.1 via the RCA out. I know both of those are old TVs by today's standards but Vizio had been around a lot longer than TCL. Besides getting an LG OLED, I would get a Vizio next. But the choice is yours 😊

0 Kudos
SpikeTV
Channel Surfer

As I said earlier in this thread, this is not a TCL problem. It's a Roku problem.

I have the same TCL model many people are complaining about but it has Android TV instead of Roku. The adjustment for audio lag is there and I use it with a soundbar, so it works. Roku needs to fix it at their end.

0 Kudos
Turnip
Streaming Star

I am running an optical cable to a soundbar.  I don't even know what an ARC is! 🙂

However I also notice the lag even when using the built in speakers (in fact I can't find a way to turn of the speakers, I simply turn the TV speakers down to 0 when using the sound bar.  and when i use both at the same time they seem in synch with each other so it doesn't seem to be the sound bar). 

0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Streaming Star

I am not sure why there wouldn't be a setting in the sound menu to turn off the speakers, but it seems like every TCL TV has different settings. If you haven't been through all the main settings, I would try there, not just the * setting when watching content.

EDIT: ARC is the Audio Return Channel on an HDMI port. It does the same thing as optical but it can carry slightly more data. 

0 Kudos