Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bguscott
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL 55R615 Audio Delay

Do you also see it when 5.1 audio is being played/decoded?

For reference, the article that mentions that night mode is only available for stereo audio:

https://support.roku.com/en-ca/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-devi...

0 Kudos
Venturafan
Binge Watcher

My Roku TV does not support night listening mode,  and I only use the TV speakers,  so stereo only,  no 5.1.

0 Kudos
bguscott
Binge Watcher

The TV speakers can still process 5.1 audio, such as Dolby 5.1. However, if the source audio is a stereo format (such as linear PCM) I'm guessing you may be able to adjust audio leveling. If the audio format uses a more complex or compressed codec such as Dolby, then perhaps auto leveling is disabled.

I'm just speculating because the option does not appear for me. In addition, the whole point is to use my 5.1 home theatre, which due the delay in the Roku OS on the 55R615 I'm unable to do.

The only way to play dolby 5.1 sound on this TV is to buy an external audio splitter/extractor and bypass the TV entirely. The TV does not support audio pass-through despite it being advertised.

Astrix21
Reel Rookie

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/6/21052281/tcl-tv-software-updates-variable-refresh-rate-thx-certifi... TCL also says that, later this year, Roku is expected to let select 2019 TCL Roku TVs take advantage of HDMI eARC, part of the HDMI 2.1 standard. That should make managing your entertainment system easier. With HDMI eARC, if you connect your TV to a soundbar or AV receiver with HDMI, the audio source will be synced with the video source (your Blu-ray player or cable box, for example), as long as both your TV and the audio source have HDMI 2.1 ports.

Reproducible fix for TCL Roku TV + Vizio 5.1 Soundbar

Drawing more attention to this most recent reply that worked for me too after trying many combinations of hardware resets, software updates, audio setting adjustments, etc.. While the models vary, I hope it works for you too!

Hardware:

TCL model 55S403 with integrated Roku 7105X

(connected via optical cable to)

Vizio Soundbar SB3651-E6

All software auto-updated as of today.

Integrated Roku Settings:

Settings > Audio >

• Speakers = Off
  • S/PDIF and ARC = Auto detect

While streaming content and clicking '*' on TCL/Roku remote:

• Volume Mode = Off (and can't be changed to anything else anyways)

Issue:

Audio lags video a variable amount when playing streaming content using integrated Roku apps (e.g. Prime, Netflix, Hulu). Possibly made better at times by turning devices on/off, but it's never been a tight sync.

Solution:

Along with an optical from the TCL's audio out to the soundbar (which makes sense if you want to get audio from your TV to your soundbar and don't have an HDMI out option on your TV), turn off TV and also connect an HDMI from the soundbar out back into the TV (even if you aren't trying to pass through some type of HDMI input to your soundbar like a chromecast, etc.).

I could tell that the HDMI connection was recognized by the TCL because after connecting it, the TCL/Roku controller could be used to adjust the soundbar volume.

This issue was reproducibly recreated when I disconnected the HDMI between the TCL and soundbar.

It was reproducibly solved when the HDMI was reconnected.

Edit: posted before finishing all the details, so added more details

0 Kudos
bonnerwolf

I am having this same issue with my 55R615. Was stoked to get this tv and love everything about the image quality. Really disappointed that there's a noticeable and unfixable audio delay when I have it plugged into my Vizio soundbar via optical.

Why are there no audio sync settings in the roku system itself? Doesn't make sense. Please add this feature, TCL!! 

Holly65584
Reel Rookie

That's crazy! Out of the blue I lost the sound on my Roku TV (using just the internal speakers). After I unplugged it an plugged it back in I got sound, but delayed and skipping. It's crazy to have to plug a Roku into a Roku... but that's exactly what I was just contemplating! Thanks, I'll try it, but if I'm still inside the Walmart refund period it's going back. Kind of like buying an all-in-one printer -- one piece goes to **bleep** and it all goes to **bleep**. (Pardon my French)

0 Kudos

Re: TCL 55S405 Audio Delay

The tv.has been spot in since we bought it a couple of years ago.  We don't have cable as ice the air tv gives us enough local stuff. Netflix, hulu have al been solid, until this past couple of weeks.  The sound is slower than the video now.   The Roku version is 7105X , software is version 9.2.0 and the build is 4502-30.  Last update was this morning.   I have power cycled,  unplugged and played with the audio settings, but this has not corrected anything.  Reading this issue is not unique,  should I be researching a new TV?

0 Kudos
user700
Binge Watcher

Has anybody actually gotten a solution to this from TCL?

Has anyone been offered a hardware fix, a replacement TV or replacement boards in the TV, and has this actually worked for you?

I have gone through support with TCL and the next step is for them to send someone out to replace boards or replace the TV. I'm not convinced this is going to work as it seems to have been introduced by a software update.

When I first received my 55r617 it had a version 8 of the software and didn't have this issue.

Roku seem to have given up trying to support this problem or are distancing themselves from the issue. I PM'd the Roku representative with my TV details as mentioned in the first pages of this thread, but I haven't had a response. I've sent a couple of PMs and have had no response in a month.

This doesn't look good for TCL or Roku and I couldn't recommend this TV to anyone. My 10 year old Sony Bravia 1080p TV can pass Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical without delay!

0 Kudos
robbo1
Channel Surfer

Nope

As my warranty had expired a couple months prior they suggested I 'take it to a local tv repair shop' to have it fixed.  When asked who services TCL they said they don't maintain lists. When asked about what component would be at fault (denying any issue with their software while admitting that they had been receiving "some" similar complaints) they didn't know. 

0 Kudos