Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CanMan141
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL 55R615 Audio Delay

@bguscott wrote:
... All Roku apps however that are part of the TV's OS work just fine.

Huhh.... now I'm confused.  Using the TV's onboard speakers or something external?

What I would be doing if I get an R625 is hook it up to my Yamaha.  Other devices like my cable box can feed into the Yamaha and then that to the TV.  But for Ruku stuff I would want to use the built in OS vs adding another Roku plugged into the Yammy (seems redundant).

So if I use the TV OS for Netflix with sound going out through the Yamaha (ARC) then I wouldn't have this problem???

0 Kudos
bguscott
Binge Watcher

That should be correct.

Because of the delay that's effectively what I've had to do; I bought an HDMI splitter with optical out so I can bypass the TV directly, and no more audio delay.

If you were to plug in your devices (e.g., cable box) to the TV directly hoping for HDMI audio pass through, that's where you'd experience a delay.
0 Kudos
rcukor
Channel Surfer

@bguscott wrote:
That should be correct.

Because of the delay that's effectively what I've had to do; I bought an HDMI splitter with optical out so I can bypass the TV directly, and no more audio delay.

If you were to plug in your devices (e.g., cable box) to the TV directly hoping for HDMI audio pass through, that's where you'd experience a delay.

I bought a TOSLINK switch for the same reason as all of my devices have TOSLINK outs. I connected the switch to my old receiver which has a TOSLINK in. In hindsight, purchasing a modern HDMI receiver would be better and more future-proof, though a bit more expensive in the short term.

Of course, none of this would be necessary if the TV just passed through the audio without delay like it used to be before a Roku OS 8.X update messed everything up.

0 Kudos
Ljcreeper02
Reel Rookie

TannerD,

Is roku working on the sound lag issue? I have a vizio sound bar and the lag is horrible.
0 Kudos
rcukor
Channel Surfer

FYI, I'm purchasing a new TV soon and this problem and Roku's lack of an adequate response is why I am not buying a(nother) Roku TV and will instead spend more money on another brand.. it's a shame because these TVs are an excellent value proposition.

CanMan141
Binge Watcher

I too decided against a Roku TV because of this forum.  And specifically the lack of any sort of tangible resolution to the reported problems.

I don't want to say what other brand I bought instead as this isn't a bake off on TVs.

rcukor
Channel Surfer

@CanMan141 wrote:

I too decided against a Roku TV because of this forum.  And specifically the lack of any sort of tangible resolution to the reported problems.

I don't want to say what other brand I bought instead as this isn't a bake off on TVs.

Edited brand out of my post.. you're right, not really relevant.

I think the only way this and other problems get resolved is if review sites start to take notice of this and other longstanding unresolved problems such as issues with local dimming and HDR. Currently Roku TVs are widely recommended as being the best bang for your buck on account of the decent display, large array of supported features, and general good feelings towards Roku software.

0 Kudos
nv2ny
Reel Rookie

It took about a week until all of a sudden our sound went crackly then it went out all together, then when it came back on it was terribly delayed. I tried powering everything off but nothing changed, so then I unplugged everything including my cable box so after the reboot everything seems fine now .fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
FIXAUDIOLAGplz
Reel Rookie

I have the 65" version of this TV. The audio lag is a major issue. More than this, the level of communication and support from Roku is depressing. Stop pasting a canned message asking for make, model, serial number, audio devices, and etcetera. This isn't some isolated problem related to a specific combination of audio devices and apps. You know this. Start posting relevant information about what the engineers are doing to fix this, what the possible solution is, and some approximate timeline. Audio being in-synch is a major design component of a TV. It is a critical flaw as-is. You are better than this. 

nv2ny
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL 65R615

My problem with audio delay is just from the built in speakers as well. The first thing I noticed was a crackling sound then the sound went off totally for all night when the sound came back it was delayed. We were going to take it back to Costco but I found this site and it said to unplug everything then plug everything back in .now it is working just fine for who knows how long. 

0 Kudos