Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimgs
Level 7

Support for Roku Express

Does Roku have anyone looking at their support email or do they just ignore problems for which they have no fix?   I've filled out and submitted the "Contact Customer Support" form on the support site at https://support.roku.com/contactus/2 and have received no acknowledgement, response or any communication whatsoever.   First was submitted last week and the second today.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Support for Roku Express

I poked CS with the email address you used here on the forums, but they don't see anything in the queue.  Did you use a different email?

Alternately, let us know what your issue is here on the forums and the community may be able to help.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
jimgs
Level 7

I used the same email address and in fact it's the same email address that I used to register the Roku Express.

As for the question, it's pretty simple.   I have an old rear projection TV that I want to use with the Roku Express.   It's 720p only.
When I connect the Roku express the screen has an overall pink tint.   The only way I can get it to normal is to manually set it for 1080p and let it go back to 720 on it's own.   It then works until the TV is shut down, and I have to go through the process all over again.
This is an old TV, not a smart TV.   I cannot do a firmware upgrade on the HDMI port, and it is not HDMI 2.0 (Which would be silly, since every HDMI 2.0 device I have is a smart TV that already has all the capabilities of the Roku.)
I have tried my cable box, an Xbox one S, a Denon DVD Player, and just this weekend, I borrowed an Amazon Fire TV cube from a friend, just to test it, and they all work perfectly.  The problem really isn't the TV.   I have also tried not only the HDMI cable that comes with the Roku, but a better cable that I purchased from Best Buy. 

If I can't get this corrected, I'm going to just have to send this thing back.
0 Kudos
jimgs
Level 7

I just submitted a third request on the customer support system.   It says:

"Your request to support has been successfully sent."

at the bottom of the form.   We'll see where this one goes.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"jimgs" wrote:
I used the same email address and in fact it's the same email address that I used to register the Roku Express.

As for the question, it's pretty simple.   I have an old rear projection TV that I want to use with the Roku Express.   It's 720p only.
When I connect the Roku express the screen has an overall pink tint.   The only way I can get it to normal is to manually set it for 1080p and let it go back to 720 on it's own.   It then works until the TV is shut down, and I have to go through the process all over again.
This is an old TV, not a smart TV.   I cannot do a firmware upgrade on the HDMI port, and it is not HDMI 2.0 (Which would be silly, since every HDMI 2.0 device I have is a smart TV that already has all the capabilities of the Roku.)
I have tried my cable box, an Xbox one S, a Denon DVD Player, and just this weekend, I borrowed an Amazon Fire TV cube from a friend, just to test it, and they all work perfectly.  The problem really isn't the TV.   I have also tried not only the HDMI cable that comes with the Roku, but a better cable that I purchased from Best Buy. 

If I can't get this corrected, I'm going to just have to send this thing back.

If other devices are working without issue, and the Express isn't, then it leans heavily towards one of:

1. The Express is faulty

2. The Express is incompatible, or at least not not fully compatible, with your device.

To test the first, I'd suggest connecting the Roku to another device (not the same type, but a more modern TV perhaps), preferably a 720p device. If the same issue occurs, then yeah, the Express is faulty. Returning it for exchange/replacement, or going with a different brand (Apple TV for instance) may be the thing to do.

If the Roku works on other TVs without issue, then there's something about those two that don't always play nice together. Something other than a Roku Express -- a Premiere, Stick, or Ultra -- or a different brand device may be better for you.

As for having a smart TV meaning you don't need a Roku, yeah, that may be true for you. But, my Roku is a lot smarter than my smart TV. It has apps my smart TV doesn't. And it's a lot more responsive. So, while such might not be something you'd want if you had a smart TV, it's not silly. It's consumer choice.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos