Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cypresstony
Level 7

Suddenly no sound on Roku Express

All of sudden last night, the Roku Express connected to my Samsung Smart TV via HDMI cable stopped any sounds.  I have an external speaker connected as well.  No sound was coming from any device connected to the TV when the Roku was in  power.  The only option I had was to unplug the Roku Express and the problem resolved.  Fast forward to today, it happened again!  Twice within 24 hours!  Not acceptable.  The Settings screen says the last update was yesterday (July 16, 2020), so I suspect the last update is causing the problem.  And judging from other posters in the last day or so, there may be a bug in the Roku Software Update.  What can Roku Support suggest we do?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Suddenly no sound on Roku Express

Have you tried without the cable?

and or other HDMI ports?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
gsargent51
Level 7

I started having the same problem on my Samsung TV with my Roku Express that started after my last update in June.  It occurs daily!  I have to go into Settings, System Restart to get audio back.  And sometimes I will get a static/rumbling noise in which I have to restart.  Frustrating.  I hope someone has an answer.  And in the meantime Roku needs to figure out the problem and fix it.

Weber108
Level 7

This is so frustrating! We have 3 tvs this suddenly started happening too. Roku TV, Vizio, Samsung. Like you, I am usually able to resolve it by unplugging the ROKU device but it is happening more and more lately. 

0 Kudos
gsargent51
Level 7

I know! it is happening to me more and more also!  Really aggravating to be in the middle of a movie and the sound goes out!  And because of Covid, you can't reach Roku technical support!

0 Kudos