Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpin77
Level 7

Sudden Insufficient Power Issue

I have been using my Roku for well over a year and suddenly it says insufficient power. I am using the Roku supplied USB cable AND the device is also plugged in to the power supply with the power cable provided. This just happened out of the blue. No red light on the device, everything is the same, just suddenly the power is insufficient, what can I do?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AvsGunnar
Level 8

Re: Sudden Insufficient Power Issue

Sometimes just a simple unplugging of all the components and reattaching followed by a system restart of your device may help.  Unclear when you say power cable, are you plugged into TV or the wall outlet.  If TV, it could be the TV USB power port is developing a problem.  Plug into wall directly after doing the above and see if that helps you.

Could also be the power supply cables and/or wall adapter have issues and could need replacing. (Roku website, walmart, best buy all have comparable replacement cables if this turns out to be your issue.)

I have had insufficent power on my Premier at times when the USB gets knocked loose from the power adapter at the wall from the animals running around. If the above doesn't work, then most likely device issue. 

0 Kudos
jpin77
Level 7

Power to the Roku to the wall outlet and then HDMI connectivity to the TV. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 8

There are only a few things really left to:

1.  Make sure your device is updated to the latest version.  If it is a software or firmware issue, then maybe addressed in update.  Manual update>Settings...System...System Update..Check Now (press that button, you should get updated to 9.4 build 4200 or the like)

2. Do a System Restart.>Settings...System...System Restart

3. Hate this one>Factory Reset of Device. (need to setup everything again.)

4. Replace the power lead completely from unit to the wall. (For testing, in most cases the wall adapters for cell phones/tablets will work).  As an additional test, I would plug the USB lead directly into my TV and see if results change. (that would indicate your power cable is most likely good, and just the wall adapter is bad.  However, not all TVs can provide sufficient power so not a conclusive test if still fails...at this point it could be the power lead or the TV USB power port.)

That, I believe is really the extent of it from a user standpoint. As you perform the above procedures, you are narrowing down to a failing device.  Not out of the realm of possibility.  Here are the links for roku troubleshooting insufficent power and then link to products page for the power adapters w/power leads. 

Continue to update if you need more help or find the solution to your issue.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

https://support.roku.com/article/217787747

0 Kudos