Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Here2day
Level 7

Subtitles Badly Out of Sync - Acorn TV

Jump to solution

Episode #1 of Season 7 of Foyle's War on Acorn TV is unplayable for us on our Roku player.  I am hearing impaired and the British accents make subtitles necessary to follow the dialog. The time delay between the video and spoken words and the subtitles is so far off that I cannot watch the episode at all.  Is there any way that i can re-sync the subtitles with the spoken words?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Subtitles Badly Out of Sync - Acorn TV

Jump to solution

Its very frustrating - Prime is actually the worst service when it comes to unsynced subtitles (and subtitle issues in general).  I've abandoned (or delayed for weeks until they fixed it) watching several movies on Prime over the past few years because of it.  Their content management team is the worst, and thats being generous.

So I tested S7E1 subtitles via a free Acorn TV trial period (7 days) offered through Prime (and the Prime app) and they were (ironically) synced perfectly.

You could always do the same, if its available to you (just make sure to cancel on day 5 at the latest) just to watch that ep (or any others).

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4\
StreamerUser

Jump to solution

If its just one episode that is out of sync, probably not.

Try:

1) Restart the episode/movie - try again

2) Exit and reload the Acorn TV app - try again

3) Restart your Roku:  Settings/System/System restart/Restart

Otherwise contact Acorn TV:   https://acorn.tv/contactus/

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
Here2day
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have tried all of your proposed solutions - multiple times; to no avail.  I have contacted Acorn TV twice before; to no avail. I have just sent off a third note to them. We'll see how that works.

I appreciate your suggestions; it's just that this is beyond frustrating. To the best of my knowledge that is the only episode of anything with which I have this issue. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem with that episode, or am i somehow unique?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Jump to solution

Its very frustrating - Prime is actually the worst service when it comes to unsynced subtitles (and subtitle issues in general).  I've abandoned (or delayed for weeks until they fixed it) watching several movies on Prime over the past few years because of it.  Their content management team is the worst, and thats being generous.

So I tested S7E1 subtitles via a free Acorn TV trial period (7 days) offered through Prime (and the Prime app) and they were (ironically) synced perfectly.

You could always do the same, if its available to you (just make sure to cancel on day 5 at the latest) just to watch that ep (or any others).

StreamerUser

View solution in original post

Here2day
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well, miracle. I did as you suggested and the episode played perfectly on Acorn TV via Amazon Prime on precisely the same hardware.  Clearly not an issue at my end.

Thank you.

Now I will consider changing my Acorn TV subscription to give Amazon a cut ...

0 Kudos