Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Stretched out screen

When I watch Hulu shows on my Roku premiere +, it stretches out the show in a way it cuts off part of the show - I’ve tried changing the ratio to get it to format to the screen but it hasn’t worked. It’s like when there is a part of a show where 2 people are talking across a table, half of one person is cut off - when I watch Hulu on my phone, I get the entire frame.. please help!

5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Stretched out screen

No Roku device has screen ratio controls, except for the older devices that had analog outputs. And all they could do is select a 4:3 or 16:9 ratio, not stretch or otherwise alter the image itself. If your image is not filling the screen correctly, you need to locate the aspect ratio controls within your TV menu and set it correctly. I know you said you tried something with the TV, but it's still incorrect.

I don't use Hulu, so I have no idea if the channel itself has some sort of image control. I highly doubt it, but you might check the settings within Hulu.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

In one of the several other threads on this subject, someone reported they had been in communication with Hulu on this, Hulu was aware of the problem, was working on it, and hoped to have an updated version of their Roku channel app available soon.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue. When I watch Hulu through my Roku the formatting is all off even though my tv ratio is just fine. When I watch Hulu from a different source it is always fine. Following This thread in case someone has a solution 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Since the 9.3.0 update, my (Roku) 3 4200x has stretched out screen on all apps, and the home screen.  It is unwatchable.  Prior to the 9.3.0 update, everything displayed properly on my Samsung 25 inch LED screen.  Other streaming devices still display properly on this TV.  I have a (Roku) Ultra on another TV, and the Ultra displays properly even with the 9.3.0 update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Jimtr wrote:

Since the 9.3.0 update, my (Roku) 3 4200x has stretched out screen on all apps, and the home screen.  It is unwatchable.  Prior to the 9.3.0 update, everything displayed properly on my Samsung 25 inch LED screen.  Other streaming devices still display properly on this TV.  I have a (Roku) Ultra on another TV, and the Ultra displays properly even with the 9.3.0 update.

I'm wondering if the update has caused the Roku to mis-read the display capabilities. Does your TV have an aspect ratio setting that you could try changing? Are you connected using an HDMI cable or analog cables?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos