Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hollada
Level 7

Streaming stick - no surround

Just configured my new streaming stick and am unable to get any surround option to work. I have plugged into an ARC capable TV as well as directly into an input in my AVR. Only receiving 2 channel sound.

Is this a known bug, and if so when will it be fixed? I need to know if I need to return this and go with Apple TV.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Streaming stick - no surround

First of all, which streaming channels are you attempting this with, so we can determine if it's a content issue or a problem with your configuration?

Remmeber that not all titles are streamed in 5.1 surround, also. Also remmeber that Hulu is only stereo, regardless of the device. Netflix has its own surround settings within the channel itself, so make sure under audio settings within the Netflix channel, you have 5.1 selected..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Also remember that not all TVs (in fact, very few) will send 5.1 audio out via ARC or optical from external sources, such as your Stick. That doesn't explain the problem when plugged into the AVR, but is most likely the TV issue. I don't have the latest Stick, so I can't confirm any particular settings. My older Stick did provide 5.1 when plugged into my AVRs, but it's been quite a while since I've tested it that way. I usually only use my Stick when traveling, and connected to a hotel TV.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Hollada
Level 7

Nothing but stereo with any source - HBO, Prime 5.1 movies, Netflix, etc. either plugged into tv or AVR. And tv is ARC capable and I have verified this with OTA DD channels.

I got the Roku to test what I need to do to cut the cord. I won’t cut cable without ability to get surround.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Is your receiver capable of Dolby Digital AND Dolby Digital+?

If the content is Dolby Digital+, your receiver needs to support it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Hollada
Level 7

Yep. DD, D+, DTS, it’s a couple year old higher end Onkyo.
0 Kudos
TEN_32
Level 7

Same issue here. Been driving me crazy. I have a Streaming Stick+. Was getting 5.1 audio signal from certain sources that support it but it suddenly stopped and everything is stereo now. I assume an update may have caused it. I use VUDU and I have a Blu Ray that streams also. It is still 5.1. I have checked all ROKU audio settings about 300 times LOL. A real head scratcher! Anyone else?
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Did you turn on Volume Leveling or Night Mode for audio?
0 Kudos
Hollada
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:

Don’t even know where to find that. So no.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Hollada" wrote:
"RokuDale" wrote:

Don’t even know where to find that. So no.

Just because you don't know where it is, doesn't mean it isn't set that way.. help people help you.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos