Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
K9wardog
Binge Watcher

Streaming problems, shows keep cutting out.

Jump to solution

No matter what I’m watching, the program will play for a while, then the screen will turn to black and the little streaming icon will appear. After a while the show will continue, then cut out again. I have restarted, I have made sure that the software is updated, I’ve checked my Internet connection, nothing helps.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming problems, shows keep cutting out.

Jump to solution

@K9wardog  At this point it’s the weekend. Go tomorrow to Walmart, Target or Best Buy and purchase a new Roku. Your 3900X was released back in 2017. Last thing you can try is to hold down the reset button on the back on your Roku for about 10 seconds 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You can spend hours days in weeks trying to figure out what’s going on. In the end you’re still dealing with a device that’s 10 years old. Cut your losses and go pick up a new one. It’s not like a Roku is expensive anyways

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It sounds like your talking about buffering. What is your internet speed? Run a network test on your Roku. Go to settings/ network and run a check connection. It will give you a speed test result. It will be something like 25 Mbps 

0 Kudos
K9wardog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It says my signal strength is excellent. It also says my Internet download speed is good (2Mbps). How do I increase it?  I have used Roku for at least six years. This is the first time I’ve had problems.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@K9wardog, 2Mbps is not good and probably not even adequate for anything other than SD video.  If you use a computer (or even your phone connected to your Wi-Fi) and go to https://www.speedtest.net/ what speed does it show?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@K9wardogYour only getting 2 Mbps? That’s like dial up speeds. That’s a major issue. To stream successfully with multi devices in your home your Roku should be getting at least 25 Mbps. Did you recently move your modem or router? How far away is your Roku to your router? So your Roku is like 6 years old? That’s a very old device. Go to fast.com on your phone or laptop. What does it say for your internet speed?

0 Kudos
K9wardog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@renojim My download speed is 253.5

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@K9wardog  What does your Roku say for speeds? Go to Settings/Network and run a check connection test . So your Roku is getting 2 Mbps but your phone or laptop is getting 253? Both on the same WiFi? How far is your Roku from your router and modem?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
K9wardog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@BillieAnnie wrote:

@K9wardog  What does your Roku say for speeds? Go to Settings/Network and run a check connection test . So your Roku is getting 2 Mbps but your phone or laptop is getting 253? Both on the same WiFi? How far is your Roku from your router and modem?

@BillieAnnie My modem is 3 feet away from my Roku device. As I said, this is a recent problem. I suspect it may have something to do with the new software upgrade.

K9wardog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 
First thank you very much for responding.

It’s model 3900X Roku express

Serial# YG00DP201685

Software Version 10.5.0 build 4208-51

The problem occurs on everything we try to watch, Netflix, Paramount Plus, Direct TV streaming, etc.

When you say push the home button five times then the black button five times, which black button?

0 Kudos