Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rclewen
Level 7

Streaming Stick+ with Samsung TV/Sound Bar

I set up two new Streaming Stick+ yesterday, one with a Visio TV and soundbar and one with a Samsung TV and sound bar. The Viso setup worked perfectly and I can use the enhanced remote to control the volume on the sound bar, but the Samsung TV and sound bar setup failed to find a code.  It may be how I have things connected.

The Stick+ is plugged into HDMI 2 on the TV (model UN65MU630) and the sound bar (model HW-M360) is connected via Optical.  Would I be better off connecting the sound bar via HDMI?

Or, is there a trick to getting the enhanced remote to control the sound bar volume?  Has anyone been able to get this working with Samsung?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
beq
Level 8

Re: Streaming Stick+ with Samsung TV/Sound Bar

Could you let me know if connecting that sound bar via HDMI does the trick?  I have family members with sound bars and/or AVRs, but I haven't had time to visit and diagnose their setups.

See: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109923

There's a Roku secret screen that lets you mess with the remote control settings, including an option to enable/disable "Querying AVRs (instead of TVs)". But haven't had a chance to test it with family members.
0 Kudos
Rclewen
Level 7

"beq" wrote:
Could you let me know if connecting that sound bar via HDMI does the trick?  I have family members with sound bars and/or AVRs, but I haven't had time to visit and diagnose their setups.

See: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109923

There's a Roku secret screen that lets you mess with the remote control settings, including an option to enable/disable "Querying AVRs (instead of TVs)".  But haven't had a chance to test it with family members.

Well, it turns out that the sound bar doesn’t have an HDMI input, so I’m no help :). I will check out the secret menu settings and follow up.  

Edit:  I was going by the model sound bar that I thought I had.  I decided to look at there is HDMI, so I dug out an extra HDMI cable and connected it to the Sound Bar HDMI Out (TV ARC) connector and then to HDMI 3 on the TV (HDMI IN ARC), set the sound bar to TV ARC as the source and, lo and behold, it works!  Smiley Very Happy

I now have power and volume control from the Roku remote! @beq you may want to suggest this to your family members as something to try.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Awesome, thank you Rclewen Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Rclewen
Level 7

[size=120]Well, I spoke too soon :)[/size]

[size=120]The Roku remote will control the TV volume, but only on certain Roku channels  :shock:[/size]

[size=120]For example, it work fine for YouTube, but not for Hulu or DTVN.  [/size]

[size=120]Why would the Roku channel make a difference?[/size]
0 Kudos
mike1597
Level 7

"Rclewen" wrote:
[size=120]Why would the Roku channel make a difference?[/size]

Maybe try changing the Roku audio HDMI setting to PCM-Stereo or something other than auto detect.
I have a Samsung Soundbar connected with optical to TV and it works fine with Roku remote.  I would recommend syncing the Roku remote with the TV and not the soundbar.  The soundbar should work using the TV IR, just set the soundbar setting to SAMSUNG-TV Remote.
0 Kudos
rmilling
Level 7

Mike1597 - What model Samsung sound bar are you using?

In my case, I have not found a way to control the sound bar volume from either the tv remote or the Roku remote: Samsung UN55F6300 tv, Samsung HW-F550 sound bar (connected to tv by optical), and Roku Ultra. I’m interested in any alternative connection that allow me to control both tv and sound bar power/volume from the Roku remote.
0 Kudos