Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rclewen
Level 7

Streaming Stick+ with Samsung TV/Sound Bar

I set up two new Streaming Stick+ yesterday, one with a Visio TV and soundbar and one with a Samsung TV and sound bar. The Viso setup worked perfectly and I can use the enhanced remote to control the volume on the sound bar, but the Samsung TV and sound bar setup failed to find a code.  It may be how I have things connected.

The Stick+ is plugged into HDMI 2 on the TV (model UN65MU630) and the sound bar (model HW-M360) is connected via Optical.  Would I be better off connecting the sound bar via HDMI?

Or, is there a trick to getting the enhanced remote to control the sound bar volume?  Has anyone been able to get this working with Samsung?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
beq
Level 8

Re: Streaming Stick+ with Samsung TV/Sound Bar

Could you let me know if connecting that sound bar via HDMI does the trick?  I have family members with sound bars and/or AVRs, but I haven't had time to visit and diagnose their setups.

See: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109923

There's a Roku secret screen that lets you mess with the remote control settings, including an option to enable/disable "Querying AVRs (instead of TVs)". But haven't had a chance to test it with family members.
0 Kudos
Rclewen
Level 7

"beq" wrote:
Could you let me know if connecting that sound bar via HDMI does the trick?  I have family members with sound bars and/or AVRs, but I haven't had time to visit and diagnose their setups.

See: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109923

There's a Roku secret screen that lets you mess with the remote control settings, including an option to enable/disable "Querying AVRs (instead of TVs)".  But haven't had a chance to test it with family members.

Well, it turns out that the sound bar doesn’t have an HDMI input, so I’m no help :). I will check out the secret menu settings and follow up.  

Edit:  I was going by the model sound bar that I thought I had.  I decided to look at there is HDMI, so I dug out an extra HDMI cable and connected it to the Sound Bar HDMI Out (TV ARC) connector and then to HDMI 3 on the TV (HDMI IN ARC), set the sound bar to TV ARC as the source and, lo and behold, it works!  Smiley Very Happy

I now have power and volume control from the Roku remote! @beq you may want to suggest this to your family members as something to try.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Awesome, thank you Rclewen Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Rclewen
Level 7

[size=120]Well, I spoke too soon :)[/size]

[size=120]The Roku remote will control the TV volume, but only on certain Roku channels  :shock:[/size]

[size=120]For example, it work fine for YouTube, but not for Hulu or DTVN.  [/size]

[size=120]Why would the Roku channel make a difference?[/size]
0 Kudos
mike1597
Level 7

"Rclewen" wrote:
[size=120]Why would the Roku channel make a difference?[/size]

Maybe try changing the Roku audio HDMI setting to PCM-Stereo or something other than auto detect.
I have a Samsung Soundbar connected with optical to TV and it works fine with Roku remote.  I would recommend syncing the Roku remote with the TV and not the soundbar.  The soundbar should work using the TV IR, just set the soundbar setting to SAMSUNG-TV Remote.
0 Kudos
rmilling
Level 7

Mike1597 - What model Samsung sound bar are you using?

In my case, I have not found a way to control the sound bar volume from either the tv remote or the Roku remote: Samsung UN55F6300 tv, Samsung HW-F550 sound bar (connected to tv by optical), and Roku Ultra. I’m interested in any alternative connection that allow me to control both tv and sound bar power/volume from the Roku remote.
0 Kudos
Radster24
Level 7

So what I did was keep the optical home up to the TV then connect the HDMI from the sound bar to the HDMI on the TV. Be aware there's to HDMI ports on the sound bar. On mines it's the one opposite of the optical wire. Then set the sound bar to d. In . Poof everything is working with the Roku remote
0 Kudos