Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pr627
Level 7

Streaming Stick will not turn on

After long periods of inactivity (several hours at least) my Streaming Stick (black) will not power on. I turn on the tv with Roku remote and nothing happens. I look at back of tv and I see there is no power light on stick. If I unplug the power and plug right back in then the stick lights up and the system will boot up and all is fine. I have the power cable plugged into a surge protector. Other items are in the surge protector also and they have no issues. Question: I am sure others have had this issue, is there a known fix?? Should I plug USB cable into TV? (also note, I have a USB port on TV but it says 'Service' so I didn't try that). Plus I think I read somewhere that its best to plug into wall anyways. Maybe I am wrong or it could depend on each persons situation. When the stick is on it works great, but its hard to deal with unplugging and plugging back up each and every day just to use. Appreciate any feedback.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Streaming Stick will not turn on

You're correct in that using the "wall wart" is the better way to go as opposed to the USB on the TV.

What's the model number of the Stick?

What software version is running?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
pr627
Level 7

Model is 3800
I am not sure of the s/w version but when I checked yesterday I believe it was the latest
btw I just purchased this last Saturday
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

You should not be having any issues with that new device. That's the latest model (released in October) and it should be running v8, if not v8.1

It could be simply a bad device. Since it's only 3 days old, you should be able to exchange it without issue, depending on where you bought it.

The Stick is a good device, and you should be getting good service from it.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
pr627
Level 7

I was wondering if its possibly the TV. its a older Samsung (maybe 10 yrs old) I cant remember, but it still displays fine and there have been no other issues.
I will double check the s/w version later on but I am pretty sure its updated to the latest
also, I purchased at Walmart so returning should be no issue at all. I hope to find a solution, even though its very simple to replace I would rather just get this one to work as it should.
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

I have a 2015 Roku 2 (4210) with HDMI cable connected to a 2007 Samsung 720P 26-inch TV (LNT2642HX). Roku 2 works perfectly with my older Samsung TV; Roku 2 & TV plugged into power strip. My 2007 Samsung has 2 HDMI ports and the USB Service Port. You might try plugging your Roku into a different HDMI port if you have another port.
Also have a Premiere Plus /Sony TV.
0 Kudos
pr627
Level 7

btw I checked sw version and its 8.0.1 and build 4042-55
For now I have taken plug from surge protector and placed directly into wall. Will see if that matters after I turn off and leave awhile. Next troubleshooting will be to try different HDMI port. If that fails will try it on a different TV. If all that fails then I will return to store.
0 Kudos
pr627
Level 7

does it matter as to how you exit when turning tv off?? should I go to home menu then turn off? or is it ok to just leave on channel thats playing and turn off? That shouldnt matter but just curious
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"pr627" wrote:
does it matter as to how you exit when turning tv off?? should I go to home menu then turn off? or is it ok to just leave on channel thats playing and turn off? That shouldnt matter but just curious

I'd recommend you stop streaming via the HOME button before turning off the TV. You see, turning the TV off has no impact on the Stick. They are separate devices. That is, the Stick will continue to stream and use data. 

Imagine if you had a DVD player playing a movie, then you just turned off the TV. Turn it back on and you'll see the DVD has continued to play. Same thing.

Depending on how the particular channel/app acts when left streaming for a period of time, that could bd the cause fo what you're encountering.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

Ive got the 3800 running the same software and yesterday it just shut off itself twice and I ended up with nothing but a black screen. TV was still on but no Roku. Looked at the connection and the power light was still on. Disconnected from the HDMI and when I plugged it back in the Roku came back on. In about 2 minutes it went black again. This time I left the Stick in the HDMI and just disconnected it’s power cable. Reconnected and it came back on and stayed n this time. Strange behavior for sure.

As a side note when I shut down the tv every night I don’t worry about the Roku at all. When I turn it on in the morning it’s always doing it’s little dancing routine and works just fine. I would imagine the safe bet if you have any data caps would be to shut roku down before the tv but since I don’t, I don’t worry about that. I am on a total cordcutters program so no cable boxes to worry about.
0 Kudos