Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shillagan
Level 7

Streaming Stick plus Purple screen

I am still having a consistent issue with the purple screen on my Samsung 55-inch UN55JU6400; it does not have UHD color on it. It is a stick plugged directly in. It registers the HDMI port as HDMI 2.2 but then after about a week or two, particularly after watching 4k on Netflix or Vudu, it tends to give the purple screen shortly after. Is this a defective unit, or is this a constant software issue? 

It's past my 30 days with Amazon so I can't do anything with them.  
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Streaming Stick plus Purple screen

"shillagan" wrote:
I am still having a consistent issue with the purple screen on my Samsung 55-inch UN55JU6400; it does not have UHD color on it. It is a stick plugged directly in. It registers the HDMI port as HDMI 2.2 but then after about a week or two, particularly after watching 4k on Netflix or Vudu, it tends to give the purple screen shortly after. Is this a defective unit, or is this a constant software issue? 

It's past my 30 days with Amazon so I can't do anything with them.  

You certain there isn't an option on the HDMI port for UHD color? My JU7100 does, with an independent setting for each port. I don't watch 4K on Netflix or Vudu, but I do with Amazon and YouTube. No issues with my Ultra. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Level 8

I think it's a Roku problem.  Not sure if it's a hardware or software problem but my Roku Stick+ does the same thing.  Bought the Stick+ about 1 month ago and have it plugged directly into the HDMI port on my television.  No cables and no AVR involved.  Also the Stick+ is powered via the wall wart.

The TV is a new Sony XBR65X900E and I've tried different ports with the same results - about once or twice a week I get the HDCP purple screen error.  All HDMI ports on the TV support HDCP 2.2 according to Sony.  Also tried changing the Roku settings in the "Advanced Display" options screen with no resolution.  Not a big deal but pretty annoying.  A simple restart of the Stick+ clears it up for several days and then t happens again.

Hopefully Roku will get this fixed at some point . . .
0 Kudos
shillagan
Level 7

100% sure there is no setting. I checked all of them, and even the reviews and manual say it. And I've tried multiple Ports. It will register it as 2.2 then boom. Purple; it's now happening more frequently too, and still no help from anyone at roku. 
0 Kudos
shillagan
Level 7

Hey, what do you know, still no offer of help from CS and still getting Purple screens, I should have returned it in that first month to Amazon. 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Or, since it has a 1-year warranty, return it for a new one.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos