Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MareHere
Level 7

Streaming Stick+ getting 'No Signal' and 'Not Support!' messages

[size=85][size=120][size=85][size=100][size=120]I have had a Roku Streaming Stick+ inserted in the HDMI2 port of my Vizio t.v. since September (it's now January 23) and it has worked just fine. Until last night, 1/22/2019. I have AT&T Internet 45 that includes: Up to 45 Mbps download, and1024GB monthly data allowance, 72.4 of which is used so far this month. Wi-Fi gateway router is the equipment for wireless throughout the house and sometimes even on the front and back outdoor porches. Suddenly last night, I turned on the t.v., the signal from the antenna in the window (an inexpensive, stick-it-to-the-window HD kind) was just fine, and then I selected the HDMI2 on the t.v. remote and first it said, 'Retrieving Data' in white with a black screen behind it, then it went to a blue screen and said, 'No Signal' and then 'Not Support'. I turned things off, unplugged and re-plugged power cords and the stick, changed the batteries on the Roku remote and finally I tried to do the 'chat' with AT&T and the guy was worthless. The last thing he suggested was to unplug the gateway router for 10 seconds and turn it back on. This, of course, disconnected our chat. After 40 minutes of it, I didn't care; the router is just fine--all green lights and 2 flickering as they should. Today, it's warm outside (in the 40s when it had been bitter cold 2 days ago) so it isn't the cold (which was something the AT&T guy said was the problem), and I'm still getting the same thing. I can't even get the Roku menu to come on the screen. Laptop, iPad, iPhone are all working. On Vizio's site I found the following:
'Resolution Not Supported[/font][/size][size=120]The cause of resolution not supported message on your TV has to do with the image size you are trying to put on the TV screen and your TV’s ability to accept and display that picture. VIZIO HDTV’s are compatible with many different standard resolutions  ( or picture sizes ). Each model may vary in its ability to display different image sizes. If you are seeing a not supported message on your TV you will need to adjust the resolution ( or image size ) of the source picture i.e. DVD player, Xbox or cable box to fit on your HDTV. You would do that through the settings control of that device.  Most common resolutions will be 1920 x 1080 also known as 1080p. The second most common supported resolution would be 1280 x 720 or 720p. Please refer to your user’s manual for your supported resolutions.'[/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=85][size=120][size=85][size=100][size=120]I can't get to the 'settings control' of the Roku device to find out what's going on here. What I just found in my emails while looking for your forum acceptance email, was an email from Roku titled, 'We have updated our Roku Account Terms and Conditions and The Roku Channel Users Terms & Conditions.' And guess when that email came: yesterday afternoon at 3:06pm--the afternoon of the day the Stick+ stopped working. Did Roku do something that has now caused my Stick+ to no longer work in my tv? What should/can I do?[/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
0 Kudos
13 Replies
MareHere
Level 7

Re: Streaming Stick+ getting 'No Signal' and 'Not Support!' messages

I'm so sorry about all the additional text on my font style in this, my first post on this site: [size=85][size=120][size=85][size=100]--I have no idea how that got into my post. Hope it's not too distracting that you can't read around it.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

It sounds like your Roku is set to a resolution that your Vizio can't display.. it's possible that somehow you set it to 4K and the TV doesn't recognize that.

What it the exact model of your Vizio? Should be on the back of the TV somewhere or in one of the TV's menus.

Worst case scenario, you'll have to factory reset your Roku.. best case scenario is someone can walk you thru the blind key sequence for changing the Roku Stick+ auto resolution settings, and no factory reset will be necessary.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

By the way, this has nothing to do with your network equipment. Eliminate that from your troubleshooting. This is problem between the Roku stick and the Vizio TV only.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear about the issue. A couple things to try: 

1. Plug your Streaming Stick+ into a different HDMI port on your TV. 
2. Double check that your display settings in Settings>Display type are configured correctly. Try 'Auto' first, and/or try selecting the resolution that matches your TV's specifications. 
3. If your device is plugged into a TV's USB port for power, try connecting it to a wall outlet using the included power adapter. 

If you still aren't able to get things back up and running, you can get in touch with our support team directly at: https://support.roku.com/contactus

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
Sorry to hear about the issue. A couple things to try: 

1. Plug your Streaming Stick+ into a different HDMI port on your TV. 
2. Double check that your display settings in Settings>Display type are configured correctly. Try 'Auto' first, and/or try selecting the resolution that matches your TV's specifications. 
3. If your device is plugged into a TV's USB port for power, try connecting it to a wall outlet using the included power adapter. 

If you still aren't able to get things back up and running, you can get in touch with our support team directly at: https://support.roku.com/contactus

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks,
Tanner

Step #2 won't work, because nothing is displayed.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jeffrok Good point..  Smiley LOL 

@MareHere You can try plugging the device into a different TV to adjust the display settings while troubleshooting. Keep me posted with what you discover! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
MareHere
Level 7

I've tried plugging it into the other 2 HDMI ports: nothing was different in one port and the other port is positioned in a place that cannot accommodate the cord that comes out of the side of the Stick. I've ordered the extension cord. I only have one television so there is no other to plug it into. As I said, I have had this set up and running just fine since September. I didn't touch, adjust, change anything when I turned things off the night before it stopped working. What I DID find was an email from Roku that came on the afternoon of the day when it stopped working. It said:

Dear Roku Customer,

We want to let you know that we have updated the user terms and conditions for Roku accounts, the Roku Mobile App and The Roku Channel to support Premium Subscriptions (https://docs.roku.com/doc/therokuchannel-userstermsandconditions/en-us

Roku Account Terms & Conditions
https://docs.roku.com/doc/mobileapptermsofuse/en-us

Thank you for being a Roku customer and Happy Streaming.
Sincerely,
Roku

And that evening when I turned the tv on and selected HDMI on the remote, it showed 'Retrieving Data' in white with a black screen behind it, then it went to a blue screen and said, 'No Signal' and then 'Not Support'. I can't get to settings. The Stick is plugged into the wall, not a USB on the tv. Did Roku do something when it did the update to support premium subscriptions that made the settings change on my Stick+? This is terrible. I don't have a 4k tv and this Stick+ has worked fine until now on the proper, compatible setting for this tv (720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV). HELP!   
0 Kudos
MareHere
Level 7

RokuTannerDB, I followed your directive and got in touch with your support team, and entered a request for support. I'm hoping you can help me since the Roku support group isn't. They sent me an email saying,'We've added an update to your support request #(the number). To add additional comments, reply to this email', but I can't find the updates anywhere on their site and in response to requests for a link to the update or simply the update itself, they respond, 'We've added an update to your support request #(the number). To add additional comments, reply to this email.'Can you help me? How do I find the 'update' or are they simply saying there's an update, but there isn't one. This is hugely frustrating. Is this how Roku treats its customers?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"MareHere" wrote:
I've tried plugging it into the other 2 HDMI ports: nothing was different in one port and the other port is positioned in a place that cannot accommodate the cord that comes out of the side of the Stick. I've ordered the extension cord. I only have one television so there is no other to plug it into. As I said, I have had this set up and running just fine since September. I didn't touch, adjust, change anything when I turned things off the night before it stopped working. What I DID find was an email from Roku that came on the afternoon of the day when it stopped working. It said:

Dear Roku Customer,

We want to let you know that we have updated the user terms and conditions for Roku accounts, the Roku Mobile App and The Roku Channel to support Premium Subscriptions (https://docs.roku.com/doc/therokuchannel-userstermsandconditions/en-us

Roku Account Terms & Conditions
https://docs.roku.com/doc/mobileapptermsofuse/en-us

Thank you for being a Roku customer and Happy Streaming.
Sincerely,
Roku

And that evening when I turned the tv on and selected HDMI on the remote, it showed 'Retrieving Data' in white with a black screen behind it, then it went to a blue screen and said, 'No Signal' and then 'Not Support'. I can't get to settings. The Stick is plugged into the wall, not a USB on the tv. Did Roku do something when it did the update to support premium subscriptions that made the settings change on my Stick+? This is terrible. I don't have a 4k tv and this Stick+ has worked fine until now on the proper, compatible setting for this tv (720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV). HELP!   

That email is one they sent to all users. Got nothing to do with your issue. I got it. Everybody got it. Ignore it in context with your issue. It just muddies the water.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos