Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul16
Level 7

Streaming Stick Plus will not stay connected to Samsung TV

I cannot get my Samsung 720 HDTV to find the Roku Streaming Stick Plus signal.
I connected the Stick to the Samsung per Roku directions. The TV did not see any input signal from the Stick. When I reset the Stick using the reset button, the TV finds the signal, the Roku connects and the setup screen flashes onto the TV for about a second then goes away and “mode not supported” comes on the screen. After that the TV searches for a signal but does not find any. I tried all three HDMI ports with the same results. The Stick was plugged directly into a wall outlet.
I connected a Roku Ultra from another TV to the Samsung and it works fine. I connected the Stick into another (older) TV and it works with the older TV. Both the Stick and the Ultra were connected to the Samsung wirelessly.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Streaming Stick Plus will not stay connected to Samsung TV

I suppose the obvious suggestion is to keep the Ultra on the Samsung and use the Stick on the other. But if that's not practical, it's a tougher issue. My guess is that for some reason the Stick isn't correctly identifying the max resolution of your TV, and it's switching to one the TV won't accept. You might try connecting it back on the TV that works, then determine what keypresses are necessary to reach the display settings menu and select a lower resolution. Write the steps down so you don't have to memorize them. It's probably going to 1080p and the TV won't accept it. 
Why is it getting the resolution wrong? Hard to say. But I have seen TVs in hotels I've stayed at before that reported themselves as 1080 when they were only 720. The Stick I travel with is capable of 1080i (not all Roku players will) and I could still see the display. Or perhaps your TV doesn't accept 1080 of any kind, but is telling the Roku it does. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Paul16
Level 7

I was able to shift the Stick to 720p and that seems to have stopped the “mode not supported” issue.
However, the TV won’t stay connected to the Roku signal. I continue to get “searching for signal” messages interrupted by flashes of the Roku setup screens. The Roku screen only stays up for a second at most (usually shorter) but I am able to advance the setup if I time my Roku remote button presses to when the TV sees the Roku signal.
I’ll have to look for answers from Samsung, but does anyone have any other ideas?
0 Kudos
Paul16
Level 7

I made an incremental improvement. I was able to reset the TV (Samsung TV model LN32B540P8DXZA) and now the TV eventually finds the signal and the Roku setup screen comes up and stays on until I press the Roku remote “OK” to move to the next setup screen. Then it goes back to “Sesrching for Signal” and won’t find it unless I reset the Roku.
Again, I was able to get the Roku to work perfectly on another TV (an older Toshiba).
Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I hate to say it, but if the Stick works fine on a different TV, I suspect the Samsung is the one with the problem. I doubt there's anything you can do to the Roku to change it. The only possible thing I can think of is connecting the Stick to an AVR that supports video upscaling, and let the TV and the AVR hash out the handshake communications. For some reason the TV isn't talking to the Stick correctly. I suppose it could have the same issue with talking to an AVR as well. I recognize the TV works with the Ultra, but there's obviously something different with the hardware between the two Rokus that is tripping up the Samsung. 
I found a spec sheet for the TV, and I see it accepts a 1080i signal. That could be the difference. The Ultra might support 1080i, while the Stick doesn't. I don't know that for sure, but I do know that not every Roku player supports 1080i. So, an AVR that can upscale to 1080i could take the signal from the Stick and make the TV recognize it. However, you could just buy another Ultra for far less than even an inexpensive AVR. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Paul16
Level 7

Many thanks. I’m coming to the same conclusion. I am working on a Samsung forum, but not finding much help there.
Thanks again.
0 Kudos