Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HapkidoNinja
Level 7

Streaming Stick Plus causing Samsung TV to constantly power cycle

My Streaming Stick Plus is plugged into a Samsung TV HDMI port, externally powered via adapter, and is updated to the latest firmware.

If I leave the TV source selected to the HDMI port for the Roku device, when turning on the TV the TV starts up, and then immediately shuts down before the screen displays any images or accepts any commands from the remote to change source. This continues in a loop and the only way to get out of it is to disconnect the Roku's power, turn on the TV, and then reconnect the power to the Roku.

The behavior began a month ago or so but was sporadic. It now reproduces consistently and only with the Roku. I shifted the Roku to a different HDMI port and the behavior continues. I also disabled the TV's smart sense on HDMI but that made no difference to this.

The last thing I want is to have the Roku ruin a perfectly good TV by rapid power cycling so the Roku is mostly unused if I am not home as the family doesn't want to deal with it. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Toolbox
Level 7

Re: Streaming Stick Plus causing Samsung TV to constantly power cycle

I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
chaotix8
Level 7

Any resolution to this? I have a similar issue with a Roku Express. Screen displays inconsistently, sometimes with loud static, but never a clear picture. The tv power cycles constantly as it attempts to load the display. I've tried different HDMI ports, cables and Rokus.

0 Kudos
HapkidoNinja
Level 7

What a coincidence. I just finished packing up the device to send back with an RMA authorization. They had me resetting the hardware/firmware which helped for a while and then it slowly degraded again. they believe it is a bad unit and I am returning it this week for a replacement.

0 Kudos
chaotix8
Level 7

Figured it may have been something like that. What steps did you have to take to get that started? I'm already on my second device. They worked fine for a bit then both started having the same issue. 

0 Kudos
HapkidoNinja
Level 7

I ended up reaching out to customer support to open a ticket. They had me walk through the their troubleshooting script with them. I was hoping the reset might fix things but I reopened the ticket when things started going downhill again and they issued me an RMA.

The service reps are measured on closing as many tickets as quickly as possible so just hold on to the ticket number. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Samsunguser1
Level 7

Did the new unit work any better? I have the same issue. I have two Samsung TVs and three Roku Stick Pluses. I switched the Roku Stick from the Samsung TV that was working to the one with problems but the issue continued. So I assumed it was not the Roku Stick that was the issue. Mine at least starts after cycling several times. 

0 Kudos