Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legless
Level 7

Streaming Stick+ - Atmos on Prime Video, but not on Disney+

Odd problem here - got a UK Streaming Stick+ plugged straight into the back of my Denon AVC-X4700H AV Receiver, and I get Dolby Atmos sound on Prime Video titles with no issues at all. It just works. 

I already know that Netflix doesn't support Atmos on Roku, but I can't for the life of me convince the Disney+ app to give an Atmos signal. If I go to an Atmos title (e.g. The Mandalorian), it only gives 5.1 sound as an option. 

The fact that I can get Atmos from Prime shows there's nothing inherently wrong with the setup, but I'm.stumped as to why Disney+ won't work in the same way.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick+ - Atmos on Prime Video, but not on Disney+

You'll only get Dolby Atmos if the program file you are viewing was encoded with an Atmos soundtrack.  Do you know the programs you're watching on Disney+ are Atmos encoded?

I ran across this page which listed the shows on Disney+ when it was first released.  The ones indicating Atmos were definitely in the minority at that time.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
Legless
Level 7

I've tried about 10 titles from that page that are listed as having an Atmos soundtrack, but in my Roku Disney+ app, they're all listed as 5.1. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@Legless wrote:

Odd problem here - got a UK Streaming Stick+ plugged straight into the back of my Denon AVC-X4700H AV Receiver, and I get Dolby Atmos sound on Prime Video titles with no issues at all. It just works. 

I already know that Netflix doesn't support Atmos on Roku, but I can't for the life of me convince the Disney+ app to give an Atmos signal. If I go to an Atmos title (e.g. The Mandalorian), it only gives 5.1 sound as an option. 

The fact that I can get Atmos from Prime shows there's nothing inherently wrong with the setup, but I'm.stumped as to why Disney+ won't work in the same way.

Any thoughts?

NetFlix does support Atmos on Roku, but only with the 4800 (its the only model with an Atmos-level Dolby decoder, a NF requirement for Atmos).

I notice you said "UK SS+", which may be a clue as to the source of the issue:  D+ may be limiting the audio quality in the UK/europe.

Otherwise, for missing D+ 5.1/Atmos the following fixes have worked:

1) Make sure Settings/Audio/HDMI=Auto detect (and detects DD+) and Settings/Audio/Audio mode=(Auto (DD+..etc)) (if not on Auto with DD+ it wont output Atmos).

2)  Uninstall D+, REBOOT, reinstall D+

3)  Factory reset the SS+

You might also consider directly connecting your SS+ to your TV and using ARC back to your AVR to see if that pinpoints the issue.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware (9.4.0-4200) for your SS+.

StreamerUser

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, I just confirmed I get Atmos (along with Dolby Vision) in Disney+ with my 4800. I just checked The Mandalorian and my AVR reported Atmos. It's likely that Disney is using the new Dolby AC-4 codec for their tracks with Atmos, and the 4800 is the only player that supports it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@atc98092 wrote:

Yes, I just confirmed I get Atmos (along with Dolby Vision) in Disney+ with my 4800. I just checked The Mandalorian and my AVR reported Atmos. It's likely that Disney is using the new Dolby AC-4 codec for their tracks with Atmos, and the 4800 is the only player that supports it. 

No, Disney+ is using DD+/Atmos (E-AC3/JOC), no AC4 required or needed (this allows for much greater range of compatibility, such as with all the other 4K/HDR Roku models in passthrough mode).

And while its true that the 4800 is the only Roku player model with an Atmos-level Dolby decoder, this really only benefits NetFlix at this time (NF requires an Atmos-level Dolby decoder (MS12) for its Atmos support, even though it also uses DD+/Atmos (E-AC3/JOC)).

Otherwise the only other real benefit of the Dolby decoder is transcoding/converting, especially from the DD+ (E-AC3) used by nearly all streaming services to DD (AC3) used by legacy DD-only systems.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
Legless
Level 7

It might be just something I have to accept then. 

Atmos at the moment only works for me on Prime on my 3810EU. 

Unfortunately, in the UK the 3810EU is the highest-spec Roku device distributed by them, so I don't have the option of the 4800. 

I could try importing the 4800, but the only problem with that is that I'd be unable to use it to receive BBC iPlayer content. I've had an imported Roku before, and the BBC iPlayer channel only works on models that were sold in the UK market. 

I'll wait to see if this changes in future. Thanks everyone.  

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Did you try the solutions I listed (including direct connect to TV w/ARC to the AVR)?   They have worked for others.

Other than those, make sure you have no "volume modes" active:  during playback, press the options (*) key and make sure they are off.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
Legless
Level 7

@StreamerUser wrote:

Did you try the solutions I listed (including direct connect to TV w/ARC to the AVR)?   They have worked for others.

Other than those, make sure you have no "volume modes" active:  during playback, press the options (*) key and make sure they are off.

I've tried everything up to and including a full reset of the device without any change unfortunately.

I haven't yet tried connecting directly to the TV and using ARC yet, simply because that's very difficult in my existing setup and will need me to remove the TV from its wall mount to even test it. I will get around to it sometime though. In a way, I hope it doesn't resolve the issue though as that means I've then got to find a way of threading another cable into the small gap between the drywall and the brick Smiley Happy

0 Kudos