Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iolo72
Level 7

Streaming ATMOS from Serviio (PC) -> Roku Premiere -> Sound bar

Hello,

I am trying to stream movies from an HTPC (using Serviio) to an ATMOS-capable sound bar through Roku Premiere in the middle. Is it possible to get ATMOS audio using this set up?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Streaming ATMOS from Serviio (PC) -> Roku Premiere -> Sound bar

If you are playing a HD or UHD rip with TrueHD/Atmos, you can't get Atmos via a Roku because no Roku supports bitstreaming lossless audio. I am assuming your soundbar has HDMI in, and your Roku is connected directly to the soundbar via HDMI. If the Roku is connected directly to your TV, and the audio is being sent back to the soundbar via optical, it's unlikely you can even get the lossy DD+ version of Atmos from online sources like Vudu. 
For your local media, there is no way to get the lossless audio, so there's no TrueHD/Atmos nor DTS Master Audio/DTS:X. Which Roku profile are you using for your Premiere? Serviio has multiple Roku profiles but does not assign them automatically. Your Premiere should be using the 4K with MPEG2 profile. I am the author of the Roku profiles on Serviio, so if you have any questions I'll be glad to assist. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
iolo72
Level 7

Much appreciated for your answer, atc.
Honestly, I wasn't really thinking much on how to set this up until I realized that I should Smiley Happy
I don't have Roku Premiere (on order) or a sound bar (thinking of Vizio SB36512-F6), yet. I have an older Samsung TV and my mission is to get DD/DTS (minimum) or ATMOS (preferred) sound without an AV receiver. I still have time to change gear if it meant having better audio set up.
From what you've said it looks like ATMOS streaming via Serviio is completely out. Will Plex be able to do anything better? What setup would you recommend? I don't have much experience with the newer digital audio format so forgive me if the questions seem basic.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"iolo72" wrote:
Much appreciated for your answer, atc.
Honestly, I wasn't really thinking much on how to set this up until I realized that I should Smiley Happy
I don't have Roku Premiere (on order) or a sound bar (thinking of Vizio SB36512-F6), yet. I have an older Samsung TV and my mission is to get DD/DTS (minimum) or ATMOS (preferred) sound without an AV receiver. I still have time to change gear if it meant having better audio set up.
From what you've said it looks like ATMOS streaming via Serviio is completely out. Will Plex be able to do anything better? What setup would you recommend? I don't have much experience with the newer digital audio format so forgive me if the questions seem basic.

Thanks!

No, nothing will provide TrueHD/Atmos on any Roku device. The hardware just doesn't support it. The only way to bitstream lossless audio is with a different player, such as the Nvidia Shield. But be aware that you're still going to need an AVR. Yes, there are a very few soundbars that state they process Atmos, but there's no way they will come close to an AVR with separate Atmos speakers. And they don't have to be expensive or ceiling-mounted. My inexpensive Yamaha AVR is 5.1.2, and I have two small speakers sitting behind my LF and LR speakers, pointed at the ceiling. Not as effective as ceiling mounted, but they work. My AVR was under $300, but speakers could of course be the significant cost. I'm still using old Radio Shack bookcase speakers I've had for years.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
iolo72
Level 7

I see that you're in Auburn. Just moved to Renton from Florida and loving the weather  Smiley LOL

Will the above mentioned setup at least do DD/DTS? Doesn't have to be high quality, anything better than TV audio or 2.1 sound bar for watching movies, without pissing off the wife with all the wires running across the living room will do.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"iolo72" wrote:
I see that you're in Auburn. Just moved to Renton from Florida and loving the weather  Smiley LOL

Will the above mentioned setup at least do DD/DTS? Doesn't have to be high quality, anything better than TV audio or 2.1 sound bar for watching movies, without pissing off the wife with all the wires running across the living room will do.

Lived in WA all my life, been in Auburn since 1989. Don't expect the weather to always be like this.  Smiley LOL
Yes, there should be no issue with DD/DTS. But be aware that not all TVs will output DTS from an external device back out to a soundbar via HDMI or optical. I've never seen an actual list, but a lot of TVs will only output stereo PCM from external devices that are connected to the TV. Since I have AVRs on all my TVs with multiple devices, I can't offer any guidance as to which will and which won't. 
Dan
0 Kudos