Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Stopped working. Doesn't see my network and it cycles power every few minutes.

We watched a movie last night but Roku started getting wonky late at night like, slow response, some channels not being accessible.  I unplugged the HDMI and power connections and let it sit overnight.  Tried it tonight and it doesn't see our wireless internet and it cycles power about every 5 minutes.  Tried multiple TV's, tried it directly under the router, tried a router reset, and eventually did a manual, hard reset on the stick.  Nothing helps.  I also tried manually entering the SSID without success.  I'm thinking it died just after midnight last night.  

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Level 18

Re: Stopped working. Doesn't see my network and it cycles power every few minutes.

Sounds borked which Model# how old?

Did you throw up on it?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Stopped working. Doesn't see my network and it cycles power every few minutes.

Nope, didn't throw up on it.  It's an express, about a year and a half old.  

0 Kudos
Level 18

Id try a Factory Restart again Make sure you hold it in a good 30 seconds.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it but there's no change.  Also, when I try to select a network (no networks found) the dialogue box says that my wireless MAC address is all O's.  

0 Kudos
Level 18

Probably borked its time to upgrade anyway.

There have been reports of the power supply for those to go south.

But I dont think thats your problem.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Yep, that was my guess after messing with it for an hour, doing the same things over, and over and over....

Now I have to decide... Roku?  Firestick?  Get another Express (I don't have 4K TV)?  Decisions, decisions.  

0 Kudos
Level 21

The all 0s MAC address is a bad sign, but if you have another USB power adapter/charger lying around that can supply at least 1 Amp, give that a try.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks!  I tried a 2 amp supply, still no network, still all O's, still resets.  Also, there's a dim light on the front of the stick that flashes twice quickly, then goes dark for a couple of seconds. When it cycles power it stays on steady, for a few seconds, and then resumes the periodic flashing.  So many things I never noticed about the device when it worked.  

0 Kudos
Level 18

I dont have 4k either and Im on my 2nd Ultra.

I use Ethernet. I never looked back. I never have problems.

0 Kudos