Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Static noise ... crack, popping

Yay @Buffalo! You may have to go through these steps periodically, I did two nights ago. It fixed the issue again, hopefully for longer this time (though as fixes go this is a pretty easy one). Fingers crossed this "sticks" for both of us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Very interesting approach, and apparently effective.  I just "cut the cord" and have four new Roku Ultra devices.  On one TV, I was getting the exact kind of popping and crackling throughout playback and it was not limited to one app or show.  Following your example, a couple good smacks to the device caused it to restart and I have been watching for 30 minutes and have yet to hear any further crackling.  After the fact, I also performed the audio setting change, from Auto to Stereo.  Will update if it comes back. Thanks again for posting your fixes/workarounds.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Frankly @dfwcordcutter I think it's a **bleep** shoot. Hopefully your unit(s) will continue to work without issue after the fix(es). (Chances are high that the static/noise will return.) I printed out everyone's suggestions and have the sheet stored under my unit, just in case. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Well, I had to restart the box in order to silence the interference - as explained earlier. All "fixes" offered seem to be not long-term fixes. Since this problem seems to be a major one, I'm very disappointed about Roku's customer service. At this point I expect from CS a decent explanation and perhaps a fix or a work-around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I guess I have been fortunate. My first fix described by Littletoes has done the job, with no problems since.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I have been fortunate as well, took out batteries overnight, rebooted the next morning. But if it didn’t work, I’d just get another.  Beware buying used ones. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I tried the smack technique. It didn't work immediately. I unplugged the HDMI and tried to isolate it as much as possible from the rest of the mess of cables. I turned off the TV, then turned the TV and Roku back on. So far so good. It's been a half hour. We'll see if it lasts!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

We have had this problem too, we replaced our HDMI cord with an expensive cord, but the crackling still came back. We have tried changing to different HDMI port with no success. When we restart our ROKU (soft restart) it sometimes fixes the problem. We bought this new ROKU after having the original Roku model for 12 years! with no problem, except that it could not keep up with our streaming speed. I hope that Roku stands by their product and fixes this glitch! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I bought two ultras.  Have been using since last fall.  The one bought from wal mart is working without the cracking noise.  The one bought on amazon has to be reset bi-weekly.  Very annoying and of course i am beyond my warranty.  Hopefully roku will sneak a fix in the next update since they are of NO help whatsoever on here.  Really, really poor marketing skills.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@NC1 wrote:

I bought two ultras.  Have been using since last fall.  The one bought from wal mart is working without the cracking noise.  The one bought on amazon has to be reset bi-weekly.  Very annoying and of course i am beyond my warranty.  Hopefully roku will sneak a fix in the next update since they are of NO help whatsoever on here.  Really, really poor marketing skills.

Have you tried changing the Settings -> Audio -> Audio Mode from Auto (Stereo) to just Stereo?  I noticed that I only had this problem on the TV where I was using the TV speakers (Stereo).  My other Roku Ultras, where I did not experience the popping/crackling/general audio issues, are connected to a Home Theater and a 5.1 soundbar.  Issue has not resurfaced in over a month since changing that audio setting.

0 Kudos