Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mel77
Level 8

Re: Spanish episode descriptions, all else in English

Same issue for me, all of a sudden the description/synopsis of an episode is shown in Spanish when using Amazon Prime Video on my Roku. The audio and CC remain in English. This only seems to be affecting Amazon Originals. On the Home screen if I hover over an AO to get the series description it is shown in English. When I click on the series to open up the list of episodes any episode listed as "0"(which is usually a trailer for the series) is also displayed in English, however, once I click on any numbered episode the title and description of the episode is changed to Spanish. I've tried all the troubleshooting tips suggested in this thread and elsewhere and nothing fixes it. Does anyone know if this problem is specific to Prime on Roku?

dlfoster07
Level 7

Same with me, but I have another TV set with a Fire stick and it works fine.  It is only the Amazon Prime on the Roku device.

Berniepf
Level 7

I have the same problem but subtitles are also in spanish.  

0 Kudos
autoxtl
Level 7

Same deal here: showing Spanish episode descriptions where I expect English. Yes, this suddenly started happening.  I had watched several episodes of The Loop (and all was normal) and after a long hiatus (of using Prime Video at all), came back to continue watching The Loop on the same Roku 2 (attached to an old analog TV -- a supersharp Sony Trinitron Broadcast Monitor), but all the descriptions are suddenly in Spanish, but nothing else is (i.e. episodes play fine in English).  If I go to another series (not an Amazon original), such as The Outer Limits, it is all in English, as I would expect, but not the Amazon Originals.  A bizarre bug in Amazon's player? The fact that some things are in Spanish, but others in English (and ALL setting everywhere say English) and it's Amazon.com, not some other country's Amazon, makes me think bug. I checked all settings everywhere on Roku and on the Amazon.com site's Prime Video.  No luck.   Wish I had taken Spanish in school. Smiley Sad

kwillis11
Level 8

I also have this problem with Prime on my Roku TV.  I also have a standalone Roku on the TV since Roku wouldn't upgrade the stick for Hulu.  The spanish descriptions are only on the Roku stick and not on the newer device.  It looks like it may be another problem that shows incompatibility with the stick and the streaming services.

Roku customer service was far from helpful when the Hulu incompatibility happened and it is either a software problem or Roku forcing obsolescence into an older product.  There is a large difference with the Prime splash screen with the stand-alone Roku and with the stick.

BTW, Roku's new stick will not work in the MHL port on the 3-year old RokuTV.

Mel77
Level 8

Thanks for your comments @autoxtl @ I think you're right about a bug somewhere between Roku and Prime. I searched a bit more to see if I could discover a pattern or something to explain what's affected. As far as I can tell the issue only affects Amazon Original TV Series & Movies, however, it does not affect all AO descriptions. For example, the description for the AO Movie 'Chemical Hearts" and both the AO series 'Alpha House' and 'The Collection' are displayed in English. I also found when I used Google Chromecast to view anything on Prime all the descriptions are in English, so this does seem unique to Prime on Roku. I have a stand alone Roku. The model number shown on it is Roku 2 and it has a big 2 on the top of it, but it looks more like the model shown on this site as Roku 1 2710. Anyone with a newer model having this same problem?

0 Kudos
kwillis11
Level 8

How do we find out if Roku is trying to straighten this out?  I'm thinking that they are not working on the older products that they want us to replace with new.

MonikaS
Level 7

This just happened to me too! WTF!

My smart TV with no Rocky is normal with English descriptions.

0 Kudos
GVMike
Level 7

I just spent the evening trying to solve this with 5 different Amazon Cust svc reps, and after deleteing and adding the Amazon channel, updating the Roku software, resetting it (not a factory reset) and re-registering the device with Amazon, there's no change.  It's only on TV series from Amazon, not Netflix, and not movies.  They now suggest a factory reset, but I'm reluctant to do this as I don't think it can be solved within my Roku device.  I think it's a bigger issue between Amazon and Roku.

0 Kudos
DLG56
Level 8

After reading posts from many others who are having this same issue (me too).  Those who have tried to reach out to Amazon Prime/Roku support and have been unable to resolve this issue.  Here is my personal consumer opinion.  Older Roku boxes (I have a Roku 2 -3100 model) or sticks are no longer completely compatible after some recent software updates (not sure if Roku or Amazon).  Roku wants us to buy a newer box to be to access new features, like the Peacock channel.  It's one of those weird technical glitches that happens.  I just bought a new Roku Ultra and I sure hope there are no compatibility problems with my TV and that these Spanish description problems on Amazon Prime disappear.  I doubt that a factory reset of our older Roku boxes would help.  I tried re-installing and re-registering Amazon Prime and that did not help. 

0 Kudos