Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tombaity
Reel Rookie

Sounds keeps cutting out

What difference does it make that this topic exist already, especially since ROKU has not fixed the issue yet. This topic should be listed as many times as necessary. It may convince ROKU to get off their assess and fix the issue. I have 7 ROKU devices and they all do the same thing while watching a program. The sounds goes in and out continuously and it has been doing it for months. This is frustrating “FIX THE **bleep** ISSUE”. I paid too much money for these devices not to work properly. I have been recommending ROKU to my friends and family. I will no longer do that. Can I get my money back? I will gladly send them all back. 

35 REPLIES 35
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Sounds keeps cutting out

You didnt mention any of your Roku's model #s or firmware versions:  Settings/System/About

A "quick and dirty" solution/workaround:

1) Change audio output to PCM:  Settings/Audio/HDMI=PCM-Stereo and Settings/Audio/Audio mode=Stereo

You can get your money back if the devices are within the retailers/sellers return/refund period.

Nat2021
Binge Watcher

Roku Ultra version 4209 OS V10.0.0

Audio dropping out every 10 - 15 seconds

Now MP4 videos are affected too with this audio dropout, so both MKV and MP4 video files have this issue we really need a solution to this please can you put this forward to your tech teams thank you.

tombaity
Reel Rookie

These are the models I am experiencing the sound gong in and out:

Model 4670X-ROKU ULTRA/ Software Ver 10.0.0 build 4209-46,

Model 3811X-ROKU Streaming Stick+/Software Ver 10.0.0 build 4209-50

Model 3810X-ROKU Streaming Stick+/Software Ver 10.0.0 build 4209-50

Question: Why would change the sound to PCM Stereo when I am wanting the best sound available? I have a theater setup in each of these locations and need Dolby Digital, Plus, DTS or Plus DTS.

Nat2021
Binge Watcher

Hi your 'quick and dirty solution' does not work. Thanks though.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@tombaity wrote:

These are the models I am experiencing the sound gong in and out:

Model 4670X-ROKU ULTRA/ Software Ver 10.0.0 build 4209-46,

Model 3811X-ROKU Streaming Stick+/Software Ver 10.0.0 build 4209-50

Model 3810X-ROKU Streaming Stick+/Software Ver 10.0.0 build 4209-50

Question: Why would change the sound to PCM Stereo when I am wanting the best sound available? I have a theater setup in each of these locations and need Dolby Digital, Plus, DTS or Plus DTS.

You'd do it to (at least temporarily):

1) Stop audio dropouts

2) Narrow down the scope of the issue.

You can then report the issue to Roku in more detail/specificity (assuming you dont experience the dropouts with PCM 2.0), while not suffering dropouts.  Is it all apps? Internet streams?  LAN streams? RMP/Plex? etc.

Most AVR/HT/etc equipment has Dolby/DTS/proprietary upmixing functionality and along with surround encoded PCM output youd still have surround sound (though not as good as native surround).

FTR, (DD+/DD surround based) dropouts arent unique to Roku at all: TV's, consoles, other streamers occasionally get them (when using their apps) as well.   Usually RW/FFing or PPing "fixes" it.

To report this directly to Roku:

chat/email/phone:    https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options       (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Nat2021 wrote:

Hi your 'quick and dirty solution' does not work. Thanks though.

Your issue is most likely a (known) different one, specific to LAN playback via RMP/Plex/etc.

You can also report that issue directly, but it is a known issue (the more reports, the sooner and more likely it gets fixed).

Nat2021
Binge Watcher

A media player update just dropped I updated and restarted seems okay for now.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Nat2021 wrote:

A media player update just dropped I updated and restarted seems okay for now.

Roku often releases RMP/RMP beta updates on Friday around 5-6PM ET, though lately its been library/compatibility layer updates.

So its best to manually check for updates Friday later afternoon/early evening if you use RMP/RMP Beta.

The restart itself may have addressed your issue (at least for now).  If it returns be sure to post back and contact Roku directly.

Nat2021
Binge Watcher

Thanks

0 Kudos