Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerm_ashley
Level 7

Sound through receiver, but not Netflix...

Just purchased a tcl 4 series 55 inch 4k tv w/roku built in for my Dad for Christmas. He had a yamaha receiver(4 hdmi ports) and surround sound that he's had a couple of years. He has the hdmi going from receiver to hdmi 1 (arc) on the TV. His directv is coming through perfectly, but when he switches to Netflix app his sound continues to be the directv satellite sound and nothing from Netflix. Wtf is going on?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Sound through receiver, but not Netflix...

So when he uses the satellite, that works fine.. When he uses the Netflix app (I assume the one built into the Roku TV, and not some Netflix app built into the DirecTV box), he gets Roku video, but audio from the DirecTV box?
Sounds like one of the ports on the Yamaha receiver is configured to output sound from other ports..

How exactly is EVERYTHING hooked up?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Jerm_ashley
Level 7

Yes he is using built in Netflix app on roku TV. Everything he has goes into hdmi ports on yamaha receiver and from there he has output hdmi cord going to TV. The only thing he has that's going from directv to receiver is hdmi cord and optical cord.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Jerm_ashley" wrote:
Yes he is using built in Netflix app on roku TV. Everything he has goes into hdmi ports on yamaha receiver and from there he has output hdmi cord going to TV. The only thing he has that's going from directv to receiver is hdmi cord and optical cord.

If he's got an HDMI cable from the DirecTV to the receiver, I can't think of any reason he'd also need an optical cable.. HDMI carries both sound and video. Try disconnecting the optical cable.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Sounds like the Yamaha has audio set to the HDMI port, not the TV ARC port. I encounter that on occasion when I turn the TV on, which powers the Yamaha on and switches the audio to the TV, then press the home button on my Roku. The Yamaha switches to the HDMI port but the TV doesn't change to HDMI in, but stays on broadcast TV. I usually have to manually change the AVR port with the remote to match what I am watching. HDMI CEC usually works well, but sometimes it gets confused, depending on what is powered up first and how long you wait between actions. If I wait a touch longer after turning the TV on, then switching to the Roku or Blu Ray player via CEC goes smoothly. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
frankkasten
Level 7

Go into Audio Settings.  Set "HDMI Control" to "Off".  Go into "HDMI OUT (TV) Settings.  Set to "On".  This will enable audio output from TV.  I have a Yamaha receiver (RX-V477) and needed to make that change myself.  Good luck.
0 Kudos