Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Sound through receiver and directv

Jump to solution

I just installed a new Roku Express 2019 to my TV set where the TV audio normally comes through the 5 in-ceiling speakers. I have surround sound via a Sony receiver and DirecTV satellite box. At this point I only receive sound from the TV when Roku is playing but nowhere can I find an instruction to get the Roku to play through the sound surround system. Should I have hooked up the Roku to the DirecTV box or the receiver instead? I'm lost and hope someone has already solved this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Sound through receiver and directv

Jump to solution

Assuming everything has hdmi, you just need the one hdmi into tv, if you can run directv / roku into receiver and it passes through to tv, then run audio out of tv back to a receiver input. Some variation of this. My tv has multiple hdmi inputs so roku takes one, bluray and digital tv box as well. Audio comes back from tv (no matter which source) and goes into receiver. 

The key here is audio out from tv to stereo avr.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Assuming everything has hdmi, you just need the one hdmi into tv, if you can run directv / roku into receiver and it passes through to tv, then run audio out of tv back to a receiver input. Some variation of this. My tv has multiple hdmi inputs so roku takes one, bluray and digital tv box as well. Audio comes back from tv (no matter which source) and goes into receiver. 

The key here is audio out from tv to stereo avr.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Finally got at this today and after plugging in the Roku to an available HDMI port on the receiver, fired up and voila, I now have immediate switching to the Roku as well as surround sound. Should have thought of that myself as I have the BluRay hooked up that way LOL! At any rate thanks for the info and prod in the right direction. All good now.

0 Kudos