Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rimeta3098
Channel Surfer

Sound loss in middle of movies

I have been having a weird issue where sometimes, right in the middle of a movie, the sound cuts out.

It happens when using the Vudu app, and while having the sound go through my Onkyo receiver.

If I stop and resume, the sound comes back.

I have tried switching the Roku to use PCM, adjusted various Roku sound settings like leveling, and even tried using PCM Fixed Mode on the receiver.

I had an issue before where even the Roku menu sounds disappeared, but that seems to have stopped once I stopped using Auto Detect.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a Roku Ultra

(I have also already tried switching inputs and cables)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Sound loss in middle of movies

@Rimeta3098

Thanks for the post.

If you connect your Roku device directly to your TV and not through your audio receiver, do you still experience the issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DOlson

I have the same issue.  Roku Express 4k+.  Have it connected via HDMI direct to tv.  I've tried removing and adding the app.  Changing cables.  Nothing helps.  Always drops sound several times during movies.

0 Kudos
RokuIrene-S
Retired Moderator

Hi @DOlson

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What is the affected channel? If the issue only happens in a specific movie, would you mind providing us with the title of the movie?

Did you restart your Roku before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install).

You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

All the best,

Irene

0 Kudos
TMagee

HI I'm also getting sound loss in the middle of movies over multiple Roku Ultra devices.
All but the Ultra in my living room are directly connected to my LG TV's via HDMI connection.
All cables are 4k certified, and purchased at my local Resi. distributor as my company designs and installs both commercial and residential AV systems to include home theater.

The issue is that at a random point in any movie being presented via the Vudu app on the Ultra the sound will just stop while the movie will continue.

Hope that's as specific as you need.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@TMagee

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to investigate this issue further.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to look into further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos