Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ROKOMOLOKO
Reel Rookie

Sound issues/skipping with Disney Plus

When watching any show on Disney Plus on our Roku Ultra, the sound will "skip" or disappear for a split-second several times throughout the show.  Sometimes it'll happen 2-3 times in a 10 second period, then won't happen again for another 5 minutes.  This ONLY happens on Disney Plus, and seems to happen on ANY show we watch on Disney Plus.  The Roku Ultra is connected to a Sony XBR-55X900E TV, which is connected to a Samsung HW-M450 soundbar.  We have tried different HDMI cables and restarting/updating the Roku box but the issue persists.

Labels (1)
14 REPLIES 14
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Sound issues/skipping with Disney Plus

@ROKOMOLOKO 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Disney Plus directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Disney Plus channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://help.disneyplus.com/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ROKOMOLOKO
Reel Rookie

Thanks Danny!  After troubleshooting this a little bit more it appears that the issue is with the Samsung soundbar connected to the TV and not the Roku unit. I don't know why it's having trouble with just the Disney Plus channel, but I tried a different Roku box and had the same issue, and was able to get rid of the issue by using the built-in TV speakers.  Interestingly enough, it turns out that the volume clipping is not random, but happens at specific parts of various Disney Plus movies and shows.  I'll reach out to Disney Plus to see if they have any ideas.  

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Thanks for letting us know! That's insightful information.

- Out of curiosity, what movie or TV show were you watching when you noticed this, and what was the timestamp?

- Does this happen on all movies/shows in Disney Plus or just specific titles? 

We can work with the channel provider to help provide some feedback as well. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
NYRfanFL

I'm having the same issue with the Streaming Stick+ and no soundbar/external speakers connected. The audio skips occasionally, then eventually garbles or goes out completely. I've tried the remedy suggested above, but it didn't work. It's happened on the Star Wars: The Clone Wars series, but I haven't tried it on other programs. I also have a Streaming Stick on another TV (not a +) and it doesn't have any issues. As far as the timestamp, it seems to have been at some point in the middle, but after the remedy attempt it was shortly after the 2 minute mark.

Alexarubin

We’re having the same issue with Disney Plus on certain movies at certain times (dipping out of sound for 3-4 seconds). We tried using the Disney Plus app through the tv instead of through Roku and exact same issue. Posting here so it’s known to be a Disney Plus issue not Roku 😕 

jason65

EXACT same issue ONLY on Disney Plus.  I'm not using Roku, just the app on the X900F sony TV connected to a Samsung R650 sound bar via HDMI(ARC).  totally ruined Hamilton 😞  We only experience sound drop using the D+ app

ROKOMOLOKO
Reel Rookie

Interesting, so I'm using a Sony X900E TV. I realize this is a Roku forum and have now confirmed that the issue is absolutely unrelated to Roku at all, but wanted to follow up since I started this thread and it appears to show up in search results. I have this issue with Disney Plus using both the TV app and Roku, but not using just the TV speakers. I tried using a different soundbar (Sony HTS350), and no problem. I tried switching the Samsung soundbar to use HDMI ARC instead of Optical...the issue returns. So I'm thinking it's the Samsung soundbar, so I connect that to a different TV and the problem is gone! So the issue seems to be some weird issue between Disney Plus, Samsung soundbars, and Sony X900 TV's! I haven't bothered contacting support for any of those companies yet as I imagine they'll just all blame each other. If I do ever discover a fix for this, I'll update this thread accordingly.

ROKOMOLOKO
Reel Rookie

Some additional info I wanted to add. I can reproduce this problem at exactly the same spot on The Mandalorian, S1:E8, right around the 16:25-28 mark, as Mando is walking out of the door the sound will disappear for a second. As others have mentioned, it'll happen on lots of different shows at different spots, but this is the spot I caught it and discovered it happens there every time. But only with the X900/Samsung HW-M450 soundbar combo.

Tymat14

I have the same issues with my x900f and a vizio atmos sound bar system..I use a roku ultra. So frustrating