Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chmiller
Level 7

Sound drops

I have a Roku 4630x which since updating to 8.1.0 build 4159 it has been intermittently dropping its sound. Roku is connected directly to he TV using hdmi. I saw that there was a manual update for 4640 units that appears to fix the problems, but my unit finds no pending updates. We have to restart the unit whenever it loses sound, usually 2-3 times in an evening. Very frustrating. When will there be an update to fix this for my unit?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Chmiller
Level 7

Re: Sound drops

To clarify, by saying that the sound drops, I mean it stops altogether. No sound until reboot of the Roku. BTW the TV that the Roku is connect to is a Sony. Any ideas? Where do I go from here?
0 Kudos
Legierk
Level 8

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?
0 Kudos
Chmiller
Level 7

I have. That did not help. Thanks for the idea though!
0 Kudos
amesgardner3
Level 7

Same exact problem. Sound works then just stops in all apps. Have to restart Roku to get sound back.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"amesgardner3" wrote:
Same exact problem. Sound works then just stops in all apps. Have to restart Roku to get sound back.

You have 8.1 or 9.0 firmware?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Chmiller
Level 7

I have 8.1.0 build 4159-29
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Chmiller" wrote:
I have 8.1.0 build 4159-29

I have no direct (or indirect) knowledge of this, but since 9.0 is rolling out, it's highly unlikely Roku will issue any update to 8.x for streaming boxes or sticks. If it's a software issue that's causing it, don't expect it to be resolved until you get 9.0, which is already rolling out, and should be on all boxes/sticks by the end of December.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
amesgardner3
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"amesgardner3" wrote:

You have 8.1 or 9.0 firmware?

I have 8.1.0 build 4159-29. When will 9 roll out?
0 Kudos
Chmiller
Level 7

Do you have it connected to a Sony tv like me, or another brand of tv?
0 Kudos