Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeo
Reel Rookie

Sound drops out when new episode starts

We're having a problem with our sound turning off when an episode of a show ends and then the next episode stars. We have to fast forward and rewind a couple times and then the sound comes back on. It also happens if I fast forward through commercials and then start it again it has no sound, so I have to do the rewind/fast forward thing again to get the sound to come back on. Any idea what is causing this?

It's not the TV/Soundbar because when we use Netflix through the TV apps it works fine. This only happens when using the Roku apps. We are using a Vizio 4K TV with a Vizio soundbar connected with an optical cable. Our Roku streaming stick is plugged into the TV. Thanks

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Sound drops out when new episode starts

Having the same issue. If I back out using the back button and go back in it will play correctly. Would love to see if someone here has the answer because it sucks. Also mine is flashing a black screen but will continue to have sound. I Usually have to Do a system restart to get it to stop. 

mikeo
Reel Rookie

The items in bold below fixed it, haven't had the sound go out since I set these two settings this way, try it out…

• Press the Home button on your Roku remote
  • Scroll up or down and select Settings
  • Select Audio
  • Set Audio mode to Stereo
  • Set HDMI to PCM-Stereo
jjritchie

I had the exact same problem but it did it through Roku on Netflix as well. Your audio steps through Roku audi setting fixed my issues. Thanks so much for sharing your solution.

Lene

I have had the same thing happen and its very frustrating. Sometimes if I turn the TV off and back on it will work. This last time it didn't work.

I pushed the * button on my remote and it bend up a menu.  I scrolled down to volume mode and it was on Leveling.  When I turned it off, my volume went back to normal. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
WildWillow

Thank you so much for your helpful response. It has fixed the issue for me as well! So grateful for your knowledge.

0 Kudos

My roku is already set to stereo, pcm stereo.  This did not fix the issue for me.  I've only experienced it in the Hulu app.  Sound cuts out at the beginning of new episodes, then rapid distorted noise, constantly changing volume.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@nondescript

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried reaching out to Hulu to see what insight they can provide? Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Hulu support here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Maya_C

I have the Roku TV, not the attachable device, and every single episode of Modern Family on Hulu starts without sound when it's on autoplay. I have to back out to the info screen and restart it to get sound. I don't think I can change HDMI to PCM-Stereo. I couldn't find it in the settings. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Maya_C,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? Does the issue only occur on Hulu or all channels on your Roku TV? Does this happen on all movies/shows in Hulu or just Modern Family?

If the issue is only with the channel or channel content alone, this is a good indication that there likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to that channel publisher directly to share your feedback. 

You can reach Hulu support here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos