Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe1977
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound cutting out periodically

@Joe1977 wrote:

Thank you! That seems to have worked!

Nope it still happens, I think I am just doomed with my Roku Ultra…. I will just have to live with missing what the characters on shows and movies say periodically 

0 Kudos
H2H
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue on a new Roku Ultra. have latest software. Tried the audio leveling shutoff. Rebooted. No change. It gets a little better for a while if I get 'manage' the series I'm watching and close it. But it doesn't fix it. I'm trying a chat now without much hope given what I've read of other's problems. I liked Roku and have had other boxes for years with no problem. Not too enamored of them now.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @H2H,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

A member of our support team followed up via email. Please check your email from our support team, they will be assisting you from thereon.
Keep us posted from there if you need additional help.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Rexmaster

Re: Sound cutting out - resolved

@Wordup wrote:

Roku Ultra. Every few minutes, the sound is completely muted for about 2 seconds. 

It's very annoying and frustrating. How can this be fixed?

I swapped out the hdmi cable and fixed my sound cutting out issue. 

0 Kudos
David714

Same problem. I’ve messed with the audio settings. Still happens. Happens always.  Live tv, apps whatever

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @David714,

Welcome to the Roku Community! 

I understand that you are currently experiencing an audio issue. Have you tried the solution that was previously posted to check the HDMI cable? Does the audio issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding audio settings: How to adjust sound settings on your Roku® audio device | Official Roku Support 

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Leighton

Hi, I am having issues as well with the private listening sound cutting in and out while using different apps. Seems to be an across the board issue 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Leighton,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. How long has the issue been occurring? 

There are a couple of things you can try to resolve this issue:

Guidelines outlined below will help to troubleshoot audio problems you may encounter while using private listening, such as:

• Audio not heard
    • Audio out of sync
    • Audio is screeching
    • Audio stutters and pops

If no audio is heard:

• Make sure your headphones are firmly plugged in, and then check that the remote or mobile device volume is not muted or very low.

If audio is out of sync:

• The software will make attempts to auto-correct itself. Wait a moment before troubleshooting.

If audio is screeching:

• Install new matching batteries in your Roku remote.

If audio stutters or pops or you continue to have other audio problems, try the following suggestions:

1. Check that your headphones are securely connected by removing and firmly reinserting them.
  2. Make sure your headphones are working properly by listening to them while playing music from another app on your mobile device.
  3. Stop and resume the movie or TV show you are watching.
  4. If you are using the Roku mobile app, restart the private listening session by turning private listening off and on again. If this does not work, then close and restart the Roku mobile app:
    • iOS: Double-tap the home button and swipe the Roku app to close it.
    • Android: Press the Recents button and then swipe the Roku app to close it.
  5. Restart your Roku device by unplugging the power cable and reconnecting.
  6. If possible, try a different pair of headphones.

If audio problems continue, check your network

Because audio for private listening uses the same wireless network as other devices in your home, it is possible that traffic to/from other devices on the network are impacting the quality of the audio. While using private listening, make sure no other devices on the wireless network are downloading or streaming music or video.

If you are using your Roku remote for private listening, try moving closer to your Roku device, as you may be out-of-range.

If you are still having audio problems, try the following:

1. Unplug the power from your Roku device.
  2. Restart your router* by unplugging the power cable from the router, waiting 10 seconds, and re-connecting. If possible, check the instructions from your ISP or router vendor as restarting may require that you press a reset button on the device. This will momentarily disconnect your Roku device and your mobile device from the network. Wait a few minutes while your router re-establishes the internet connection.
  3. Reconnect the power cable to your Roku device.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How do I solve problems with private listening? | Official Roku Support 

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos

Hey Roku,  this is clearly a problem with your software.   No settings fix the problem.  Please take this issue seriously, it’s not hard to reproduce.  Buy Roku device, turn on TV and see problem within 10 minutes.   Pass this helpful tip to engineering please.  All my devices have the issue, not hard to debug.  Stop pretending its a bad cable or setting and fix the **bleep** problem.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@MojoRobbins

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us more information about the issue you are experiencing:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos