Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgoodier
Level 7

Sound Quality

I have a Roku Ultra and an Apple TV-4 connected to a Bose 5.1 system via an hdmi cable. When I stream music using Plex the Apple TV-4 sounds perfect however when I use the Roku the sound is dull and lackluster. Does anyone know how I can correct the poor sound quality of the Roku? Many thanks. 
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Sound Quality

Is Plex the only app this happens with? Have you compared other apps side by side to make sure it's not just Plex?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Dakotah
Level 7

What is the audio codec for the music you're playing? Is the plex server transcoding it?
0 Kudos
pgoodier
Level 7

Thanks for the replies,
These are MP3 files Plex is transcoding them.
I only use Plex so I wouldn't have anything else to compare to know if it is only Plex.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Could you put some of your MP3s on a USB stick and play them directly from the Roku with the Media Player? This would eliminate Plex as the culprit. I'm not sure why Plex is transcoding them, as I would expect the Roku to play standard MP3s without an issue. I believe I've tried some MP3 files with Roku Media Player, using my DLNA server to stream them. I don't recall them needing to be transcoded.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

Correct, Roku loves mp3 files, and now, I understand, even flac. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

If Plex is transcoding an MP3 File - somebody is doing something wrong:

0 Kudos