Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lgb0250
Level 7

Sound Bar

I just recently bought a couple of the Streaming Sticks (3800X). When I set them up to control the power and volume the screen said they wouldn’t work with a sound bar! Mine work just fine with my sound bar. Is this an anomaly or is the info on the setup screen just out of date?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
gandalf1369
Level 7

Re: Sound Bar

Just to let you know - my Stick+ also works with my sound bar.  Sony 65X900 plus Sony HTCT390 sound bar.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Just a guess, but perhaps they only work with sound bars that support the CEC protocol. But I'm not totally familiar with these new remotes. The older Stick remotes did not have IR control. I don't know if the new Stick remotes do.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bozzy
Level 9

"Lgb0250" wrote:
I just recently bought a couple of the Streaming Sticks (3800X). When I set them up to control the power and volume the screen said they wouldn’t work with a sound bar! Mine work just fine with my sound bar. Is this an anomaly or is the info on the setup screen just out of date?

It will work with a soundbar if you are using HDMI ARC or if the soundbar is the same brand as the TV (since they generally support the same IR codes). If you are using optical from the TV to the soundbar (and it is a different brand), it will not work.
I do wonder why Roku just doesn't let you manually set what type of soundbar you have to get around this limitation.
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

I don’t have this tv hooked up to anything other than optical now. My tv is a Samsung and my sound bar is a vizio. The Roku Stick volume control still works on my sound bar. The problem I’m having now is getting the Stick to turn the tv on and off. It’s quit working! I’ve tried it maybe 10 times now and nothing. Only watts get tv on or off is by using the tv control. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

Such a joy. Went back in and tried numerous times to reset the remote to control the power. Couldn’t get it to work. Pulled the stick out and then the power from the stick and a minute later hooked it back up to an HDMI input. Went back into remote setup again and got it turning the power on and off again. Unfortunately it no longer controls the audio when in optical mode. It must have just retained a setting when I had my Samsung sound bar hooked up to my Samsung tv. Have replaced the sound bar with a Vizio one and the reset must have cleared any cache. Oh well, all good things come to an end at one time or another.
0 Kudos