Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Sony soundbar won't power off with Roku remote

Hello,

I have a Roku Premiere+ (4630) connected to a Sony Bravia TV and Sony soundbar.

Power on and volume work fine with the Roku enhanced remote but the soundbar will not power off with the Roku remote. Even the auto standby mode (after 20 min idle) of the soundbar doesn't work.

I've tried connecting the Roku directly to the TV and connecting via soundbar...no difference.

I've tried toggling multiple settings on the audio output controls of the TV, also unsuccessful.

I suspect it has something to do with the Roku always being "on" and not allowing the soundbar to go to sleep but I'm not sure. Any thoughts on how to resolve this? Was really hoping to use the single Roku remote for everything and not have to manually power off the soundbar.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Sony soundbar won't power off with Roku remote

I had the same problem, but if you can connect the soundbar to TV using an HDMI cable to the ARC, it all works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, I have the soundbar connected via HDMI cable to eARC port but the soundbar will not go into standby.

I have tried plugging the Roku directly to the TV (via a different HDMI port) as well as plugging the Roku into the soundbar HDMI input, both without success.

It won't even go into standby mode after 20 minutes of inactivity even though I toggled on Auto Standby.

I think it's because the Roku is always on and constantly communicating with the soundbar thereby keeping it "awake".

I deliberately purchased a Sony soundbar with my Sony TV to avoid this type of connectivity issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Roku remotes only control tv's with power and volume buttons. It is up to the tv to control your soundbar via hdmi-cec. The source of the sound for the soundbar is the tv, if the roku remote turns off the tv, no more sound. What else do you expect? 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That's precisely the problem: the Roku remote shuts the TV off but the soundbar remains on and simply will not go into standby mode unless I manually shut it off.

The TV is powered appropriately (on and off) with the Roku remote but the soundbar will not power off.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Can you go into the sony menu and refresh the cec devices connected to it? The problem lies in the tv not taking the the soundbar with it when it powers off. Nothing to do with the roku or its remote. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have this problem on both of my Sony TVs.  The Roku remote is not sending the power down command to the TV, just the standby command.  When I use my Firestick 4K remote to turn off the TV, the sound bar powers down correctly.  I'd really prefer to use Roku's but I have multiple remote issues.  On a Samsung TV I have, the remote gets confused and starts sending the opposite volume command randomly.  Again, no issues with the Firestick remote.  As a result, the Firestick gets more use in my house, despite being full of ads and having laggy video playback performance on Disney+.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I had this issue too but found a solution. If you unplug the hdmi from the sound bar, forcing the TV to use native speakers and then setup the remote again, it should solve the issue after plugging in the hdmi cable again. In setting up, the music did not stop playing, so I said no and then it worked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestion, but after several attempts to reconfigure the remote, the problem persists.

0 Kudos