Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Netflix shows have choppy playback on Ultra

I have a Roku Ultra that is just over a year old. Generally, everything is fine. When I test my internet connection, I get between 50 and 55 down.

Some shows on Netflix are very choppy. Not all, just some. Are there any settings to control playback? Might it be trying to push 4K to my non-4K tv?

I tried "Lupin" last night and it was bad. Then I tried another show and it was fine. I tried changing the Audio settings on the Roku and screen resolution multiple times. I checked for an update (none) and restarted. That show stuttered when I tried to play. It is a very consistent stutter like it was trying to play a different bit rate. I've noticed it on other shows in the past, but I don't remember off the top of my head. 

14 REPLIES 14
iosk
Reel Rookie

Re: Some Netflix shows have choppy playback on Ultra

I'm having the exact same issue. Can we get an update here?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @iosk

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Community.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. You can refer to this link for step-by-step instructions: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
iosk
Reel Rookie

Hey @RokuKariza-D , I followed your instructions to the T and my playback issues were fully resolved. Thanks!

Update 5/16/21: The choppiness is back, and the remove/reboot/reinstall trick no longer works. Some additional info:
* Netflix plays perfectly on my other devices;
* I got a roku ultra 2021 connected via ethernet.
* I've also tried clearing my cache on the roku (5x home, up, 2x rewind, 2x ff), to no results.
* Other apps (hbomax, amazon, etc.) play perfectly on the same roku.

Right now it's straight impossible to watch Netflix on the roku 😕

@RokuKariza-D : any other tricks to fix it?

0 Kudos
iosk
Reel Rookie

Bump on this thread. 

I tried factory resetting and the video stuttering is still there. This happens only on Netflix and only on some of the titles. I tried streaming Netflix with my old roku (2017 model) and there is no video stuttering. Any clues?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @iosk,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing an update.

If the issue is only with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to that channel publisher directly to share your feedback.

You can reach their support team here: https://help.netflix.com/en

Kind regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
rhyd
Reel Rookie

I have same issue. Makes my Roku unusable for Netlfix

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@rhyd

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Does this issue only happen on the Netflix channel? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are seeing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rhyd
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny,

Roku Streambar. The issue is present an Prime and Netflix apps. Extremely consistent. I've tried disabling HDR, and reducing the frame rate in Roku settings, but no difference. Those apps on the TV are nice and smooth, but always jerky on the Roku. I did have it connected via ethernet, on a Roku recommended dongle, but have tried wireless. My Internet is 550u70d Mb/s. Its like a mismatch between frame rates, every time there is a panning shot, every second or so the panning stutters. LG 100Hz TV

0 Kudos
ReidH
Reel Rookie

Similar experience on Roku Express 4K+ (Just installed yesterday)

On both Netflix & Prime Video stutter (dropped frames?) on scenes with fast action

Disney+ seemed OK

My old 3600X does not have the problem on the same scenes on netflix

I have tried:

• Power restart,
  • Remove & reinstall Netflix
  • Lower output to 720p (I have max 1080p and am not using 4K)

I do not see any other refresh rate or frame rate adjustments available.

Maybe I just send it back and get a new remote for the 3600X . . . ?

Any ideas ? ? ?

0 Kudos