Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaltyWagyu
Level 7

Snowy / Green corruption

I set up my new Roku Streaming Stick+ (https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/str ... stick-plus) a few days ago, on setup it auto-detected my display and ticked all the checkboxes - 4k 60Hz supported etc. I tested it and the screen went black momentarily followed by showing a mess of green graphics corruption. I went back through all the other modes manually, 720p, 1080p, and 4k 30Hz utilised fine, then 4k 60Hz also worked fine this time strangely? So I kept it at that. I used it for a while, tried out Sky News and exited then the Roku started showing a snowy screen. I turned the TV off and back on but I couldn't resolve it, still snowy. I went into the TV options and disabled enhanced HDMI on my HDMI 3 port and Roku came back on, albeit in 4K 30Hz mode. I also had auto display refresh rate and 4:2:2 enabled at the time.

On another following day I was on the default of 4:2:0, while using 60Hz, exited Amazon Prime and was shown a different kind of green corruption: https://imgur.com/a/Mt3mJ Fed up, I switched it to 4K 30Hz.

This morning I wanted to check if The Grand tour Season 2 was subtitled (which it isn't, another issue entirely), but playing the stream bought on the snowy effect again. This is 4k 30Hz, 4:2:0 sampling.

So is my new Sony XE8596 TV unsupported with Roku? It is a 4K 60Hz capable HDR TV. Or do I need to return the Roku device back to Amazon?

Roku model: 3810EU
Build: 8.0.1, 4018-50
Serial: available on request.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
mike1597
Level 7

Re: Snowy / Green corruption

I have two Sony HDR 4k TV's one is connected to 2017 Roku Ultra and the other to Streaming Stick+, both are working fine when configured as follows:

• Connect Roku to HDMI port #2 and enable enhanced HDMI, HDMI 3 is normally reserved for ARC and HDMI 1 & 4 will not handle 4k 60Hz

• Set Roku Auto-adjust display refresh rate to "Disabled", otherwise I randomly get snowy/green screen

• Set Roku HDR subsampling to 4:2:0
0 Kudos
SaltyWagyu
Level 7

"mike1597" wrote:
I have two Sony HDR 4k TV's one is connected to 2017 Roku Ultra and the other to Streaming Stick+, both are working fine when configured as follows:

• Connect Roku to HDMI port #2 and enable enhanced HDMI, HDMI 3 is normally reserved for ARC and HDMI 1 & 4 will not handle 4k 60Hz

• Set Roku Auto-adjust display refresh rate to "Disabled", otherwise I randomly get snowy/green screen

• Set Roku HDR subsampling to 4:2:0

Hmm... I have mine in HDMI 3 ARC, only 2 and 3 support enhanced HDMI and #2 is reserved for my HTPC. It should not cause any issues being in ARC should it, as what stood out is you say the Auto-adjust display refresh rate feature is what causes the issue. That's a shame, that feature alone is why I bought the Roku as the apps in the Smart TV itself is unable to change from 60Hz and causes pulldown judder.
0 Kudos
mike1597
Level 7

I hope Roku is aware of the snow/green screen issue when Roku Auto-adjust display refresh rate is enabled.  I had posted about this this issue some time ago.  It must not be a very widespread issue because it is disabled by default or only effects Sony TV's?
Maybe someone from Roku Engineering can respond.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Yes, we're aware.  I don't have an ETA on the fix though.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Dalancas
Level 7

Similar issue.  Just got 2 Roku Sticks; a Streaming Stick and a Streaming + stick.  No issues with Streaming + stick on 4k Samsung MU9000 HDR.
Issue is with Streaming Stick connected to Samsung HTS-6500 home theater receiver, via HDMI in port.  HDMI out to TV, which is an older Insignia NS-L42Q-10A HDTV.  When I connect Roku SS to the HDMI port on TV, I get HDCP purple screen, regardless of which HDMI port I use.  Which is why I use the home theater to connect the Roku to the TV.  I also use the optical port connection for audio out from the TV to the home theater.
Problem: when Roku is powered on, I get a snow screen at times and it is followed by a green screen.  Sometimes instead of white snow screen its black, or no snow screen just green screen.  These last maybe 1-2 seconds or less.  Its not in a set pattern, it may happen once every 5 minutes or once in 30 minutes.  But, it does not matter if something is played back, if I am at the menu or if the Roku screen saver is active.  So, it is confined to the Roku device, in my opinion.
I should note that I never lose audio when this happens--only video is affected.
I have turned off all auto sensing and have set video to 720 as well as 1080.  No change.  I have not moved the SS to the MU9000 to try, but will do that next as a troubleshooting step. I assumed that with the SS+ working without issue on the MU9000 that the problem may only be the SS stick.  Will check to be sure.
Dennis
Model: 3800X
SW Ver: 8.0.1 build 4042-55
0 Kudos
jinj
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:

These errors are becoming very common. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
mike1597
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:

Any updates on when this issue might be resolved?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"mike1597" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:

Any updates on when this issue might be resolved?

Not at this time.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
rmjb
Level 7

I just started experiencing this in the last month. I sent my TV for repair when the green showed up, but it returned without detecting an issue. Since then the green has re-occurred and the snow has occurred twice. I am on a Roku Express passing through a Yamaha RX-V375 AVR to a Samsung UN46C6300 1080p TV.
Everything worked fine for more than a year with this set up.
There is no red light to indicate over heating.

Are any updates imminent?
0 Kudos