Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrw422
Level 7

Snow when first turn on TV

Jump to solution

New to Ruko. Purchased 2 Ruko Premier units. All is well with one but the other does this as follows;

When I first turn the TV on, it is all snow and flickering. I can see just a bit now and then of the home screen. To get it work I must unplug it. When it restarts all is well and I can use without any problems.

Next time I turn the TV (Element) on, I must unplug.  Does this every single time.

HELP!!

Jon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Snow when first turn on TV

Jump to solution

@jrw422 wrote:

The issue did NOT follow the device.

Same TV is having the issues with the swapped one from the living room.

The one that WAS on the TV in the bedroom is now in the living room and works just fine.

The issue occurred with the other Roku on the same TV.

Jon

Gotcha. Then yes it looks like the TV is the issue. You tried different HDMI ports, to my reading of your previous, and the same results. 

I hate to suggest this, because I usually recommend the opposite, but have you tried powering from the USB port on the TV. It's probably powered only when the TV is on, meaning the Roku would actually power down when the TV is off, and power on when the TV is turned on. That might be the best option without replacing the TV. Or did you try that, and I simply miss that?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12\
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jrw422 wrote:

New to Ruko. Purchased 2 Ruko Premier units. All is well with one but the other does this as follows;

When I first turn the TV on, it is all snow and flickering. I can see just a bit now and then of the home screen. To get it work I must unplug it. When it restarts all is well and I can use without any problems.

Next time I turn the TV (Element) on, I must unplug.  Does this every single time.

HELP!!

Jon

Some Roku Premiere devices, depending on the model number, come with a power setup similar to the Express. There is a wall power supply, and a USB cord that connect between the two. Some users will forego the power supply and plug the USB cord into a USB port on the TV instead.

If your Premiere is model 4620, this is not the case, as that unit uses the Roku 4 form factor. However, if it's model 3920, then it's the Express form factor and includes a power cord with the USB ends.

If you have the 3920, with the USB power cords, ensure that you are using the included power supply and not the USB port on the TV.

Let us know if this suggestion doesn't apply, or doesn't solve the issue.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jrw422
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I have the 3920X and it is plugged into the wall outlet for the get go.

Jon

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jrw422 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I have the 3920X and it is plugged into the wall outlet for the get go.

Jon

That seems to rule out power issues. I don't want to delay things, but if you were to swap the devices, just the Roku boxes, not the cables or anything else, does the issue remain with the TV, or does the issue follow the device?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
jrw422
Level 7

Jump to solution

I swapped them out and will have to see in the morning, 4/5,  (or later today with that one now in bedroom) if it still does it. The one that did it is now in the living room, will not be turned off till bed time, and turned back on till morning. 

Jon

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Meanwhile ...

See if merely switching your tv away from the HDMI input for the Roku and back fixes things.  If so, it should be faster and easier than unplugging.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos
jrw422
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well the swap did NOT work. I tried switching HDMI and back again and it did NOT solve it.  Had to unplug and worked just fine.

One thing I did notice is that when it is restarting, it will jump back and forth from 720 to 1080 on the screen. It will then settle in on 1080.

Could it be this cheap Element TV that is the problem, or settings on it? I believe the Roku was on auto detect settings when I first set it up.

Jon

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jrw422 wrote:

Well the swap did NOT work. I tried switching HDMI and back again and it did NOT solve it.  Had to unplug and worked just fine....

I'm not clear on the results. The suggestions was to leave everything in place and simply swap the Roku devices. That should have meant the issue followed the device, or the issue stayed with the TV. I'm not sure what "swap did not work" means.

Did the issue occur with the same Roku but on the other TV? Did the issue occur with the other Roku on the same TV?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
jrw422
Level 7

Jump to solution

The one that WAS on the TV in the bedroom is now in the living room and works just fine.

Jon

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jrw422 wrote:

Jon

Gotcha. Then yes it looks like the TV is the issue. You tried different HDMI ports, to my reading of your previous, and the same results. 

I hate to suggest this, because I usually recommend the opposite, but have you tried powering from the USB port on the TV. It's probably powered only when the TV is on, meaning the Roku would actually power down when the TV is off, and power on when the TV is turned on. That might be the best option without replacing the TV. Or did you try that, and I simply miss that?

DBDukes

0 Kudos