Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loafskidder
Binge Watcher

Shutting off and off and cycling through menu options

Jump to solution

i don't have a Roku tv. Roku (express) cycles through menu, sometimes stops....if I manage to get to Acorn, roku will do a fast forward by itself. Roku locks up, have to pull power and plug back in.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Shutting off and off and cycling through menu options

Jump to solution

@loafskidder 

I am sure you nailed it with the remote as culprit.  Try using the official mobile Roku remote app in the Apple or Play store to navigate your Roku until your replacement device arrives.

You need a physical remote to setup a Roku device, but many switch to the Remote App for daily use.  Especially for those who use the Private Listening feature, better than draining the batteries of the physical remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
loafskidder
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Not only do the menus cycle, but switching away from the Roku HDMI input to another HDMI input (e.g., comcast cable) results in the TV going back to the Roku HDMI input, unless I unplug the Roku!!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @loafskidder

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

For clarification, does your Roku remote keeps scrolling automatically?

In addition, the possible reason why your TV keeps switching to your Roku HDMI is because of your CEC settings.

Check out this link for more information: Why does my TV switch to a different device when trying to use my Roku® streaming player?

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
loafskidder
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku scrolls (thanks for reminding me of that term - vs 'cycling') automatically. Sometimes it stops but if you try to select something, it starts scrolling again. In addition, if I did get into a program, it would sometimes fast forward by itself and could not be controlled with the remote. Had to unplug the Roku and start again. I don't know what CEC means - so glad you attached the link. I doubt if the HDMI cable is the  main issue - that being the scrolling and inability to use the remote....I did switch HDMI inputs with no luck as far as scrolling goes. I think the problem is a defective remote - probably a stuck button, as I was able to switch from Roku to another source after removing batteries from the remote......ordered a new Roku Express, hopefully with a good remote.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@loafskidder 

I am sure you nailed it with the remote as culprit.  Try using the official mobile Roku remote app in the Apple or Play store to navigate your Roku until your replacement device arrives.

You need a physical remote to setup a Roku device, but many switch to the Remote App for daily use.  Especially for those who use the Private Listening feature, better than draining the batteries of the physical remote.

0 Kudos
loafskidder
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Unfortunately my phone Roku remote app can't find my device (Roku Express)....and I can't get to settings to see if I need to enable control by mobile devices. Need a working remote to do that.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@loafskidder 

You are indeed in a bad spot.  You can also buy a $10 universal streaming remote (IR based) from Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc to control Roku devices.  A little different from standard universal remote, these have a "Stream" selection button for streaming devices. RCA and others make inexpensive ones.

Or, if you can determine from your router what LAN IP address your Roku Express is currently assigned to, you can try to manually connect the Remote App to the Express.  Kind of have to look for the 3 dots near the User sign in at top of app , then (Select "Connect Manually") and enter IP address where the Roku device is located.  

If Device Connect is Disabled, you need to connect manually.

If you know how to login to your router or post back with your router model number, can provide more help as needed.  There are a couple of Windows and Linux commands you can use on a laptop or computer that will also show you connected device IPs. 

0 Kudos
loafskidder
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Got a new Roku. Used the new remote with the old Roky and everything seems to be functioning - so we can probably say that the remote was the problem. I need to get the Roku app so I can use my phone when the new remote fails.

0 Kudos
maconfar

Jump to solution

I had not used my TV and Roku for a couple of weeks and tonight when I turned it on, it kept cycling to the bouncing ROKU opening screen and off... I checked the suggestions here and changed the batteries in my remote AND changed the HDMI cable.  That let me get past the bouncing ROKU splash screen and to the home page.  From there I got into settings and checked for updates.  Once the latest updates were installed the device works fine.

0 Kudos