Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NPowers331
Level 7

Several channels abruptly stop playing after a few minutes

I recently purchased a Roku Steaming Stick+, and for the most part have been very happy with it. Recently, however, there are three channels - HBO Now, Showtime and WWE Network - that have randomly stopped streaming in the middle of playing video. The apps do not crash, they just stop playing the video and bring you back to the previous screen after a few minutes.

• HBO Now displays a message that says, "CAN'T PLAY VIDEO. We're having trouble playing this video. Please try again later."

• WWE Network displays a similar message stating, "SOMETHING WENT WRONG. We're sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again."

• Showtime exhibits the exact same issue where steaming abruptly stops after a few minutes, but it doesn't display a message like HBO Now or WWE Network. It simply stops playing.

I recently tried to self-organize my internet through Verizon FiOS, so I thought that could be the issue, but now I'm not sure. Several other channels (YouTubeTV, Netflix, Hulu, Prime) have not had these issues and seem to stream perfectly fine (fingers crossed) so I'm not sure where the issue lies.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any feedback on how I can rectify these playback issues? I did uninstall and reinstall Showtime, but that didn't do anything. I even did a factory reset on my Roku to see if that would help, but I'm still having the same issues.

image.jpg

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
rgf1209
Level 7

Re: Several channels abruptly stop playing after a few minutes

Have same issue but, with Netflix and Amazon. Haven't figured out a fix. Doesn't do it all the time. WiFi speeds are normal, 200mbs+
0 Kudos
NPowers331
Level 7

I reached out to each network’s support accounts on Twitter, and so far I’ve been able to (hopefully) resolve the issue with HBO Now.

HBO instructed me to remove the channel, restart my Roku and then re-download the channel. So far, I was able to use it without issue. The same cannot be said for WWE Network, as I attempted the same thing and am still running into the same issues.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@NPowers331 

This sounds more like a network-related issue than a channel-specific issue. I'd recommend trying two things here: 

1. To test further, try connecting your device to a different wireless network to see if you experience the same result, such as a mobile hotspot, or a friend's network. If you do not encounter the issue on another network, I would recommend contacting your ISP or router manufacturer to reset your modem/router, or change the current configuration to see if this helps. For example, you might try changing the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless router. 

2. As a last troubleshooting step, you might also try performing a factory reset to completely clear all data from the device, and set it up fresh. You can see the steps for that here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
NPowers331
Level 7

After continuous failed attempts, I’ve performed the following tasks:

- Update the Roku channels and software

- Delete channels, restart Roku, then re-download them

- Change the HDMI port my Roku is plugged into

- Reboot my internet router

- Factory reset Roku

- Update the wireless channel

I continue to experience streaming issues. While HBO Now seems to work fine, on demand WWE Network content cannot play without being interrupted; live content streams fine.

At this point, I feel like I’m losing hope. I’ve tried EVERYTHING possible, including things I’m sure I forgot to list above, and still this issue persists. I’ve also had an interruption streaming Hulu recently, similar to the previous issues with HBO Now, Showtime and WWE.

0 Kudos
Kep
Level 7

I'm having the same issue for about 2 weeks now. Before that I haven't used Roku for over a month.  I tried all of the recommended fixes too.   I'm wondering if the sticks fail?

0 Kudos