Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NPowers331
Reel Rookie

Several channels abruptly stop playing after a few minutes

I recently purchased a Roku Steaming Stick+, and for the most part have been very happy with it. Recently, however, there are three channels - HBO Now, Showtime and WWE Network - that have randomly stopped streaming in the middle of playing video. The apps do not crash, they just stop playing the video and bring you back to the previous screen after a few minutes.

• HBO Now displays a message that says, "CAN'T PLAY VIDEO. We're having trouble playing this video. Please try again later."

• WWE Network displays a similar message stating, "SOMETHING WENT WRONG. We're sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again."

• Showtime exhibits the exact same issue where steaming abruptly stops after a few minutes, but it doesn't display a message like HBO Now or WWE Network. It simply stops playing.

I recently tried to self-organize my internet through Verizon FiOS, so I thought that could be the issue, but now I'm not sure. Several other channels (YouTubeTV, Netflix, Hulu, Prime) have not had these issues and seem to stream perfectly fine (fingers crossed) so I'm not sure where the issue lies.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any feedback on how I can rectify these playback issues? I did uninstall and reinstall Showtime, but that didn't do anything. I even did a factory reset on my Roku to see if that would help, but I'm still having the same issues.

image.jpg

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
rgf1209

Re: Several channels abruptly stop playing after a few minutes

Have same issue but, with Netflix and Amazon. Haven't figured out a fix. Doesn't do it all the time. WiFi speeds are normal, 200mbs+
0 Kudos
NPowers331
Reel Rookie

I reached out to each network’s support accounts on Twitter, and so far I’ve been able to (hopefully) resolve the issue with HBO Now.

HBO instructed me to remove the channel, restart my Roku and then re-download the channel. So far, I was able to use it without issue. The same cannot be said for WWE Network, as I attempted the same thing and am still running into the same issues.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@NPowers331 

This sounds more like a network-related issue than a channel-specific issue. I'd recommend trying two things here: 

1. To test further, try connecting your device to a different wireless network to see if you experience the same result, such as a mobile hotspot, or a friend's network. If you do not encounter the issue on another network, I would recommend contacting your ISP or router manufacturer to reset your modem/router, or change the current configuration to see if this helps. For example, you might try changing the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless router. 

2. As a last troubleshooting step, you might also try performing a factory reset to completely clear all data from the device, and set it up fresh. You can see the steps for that here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
NPowers331
Reel Rookie

After continuous failed attempts, I’ve performed the following tasks:

- Update the Roku channels and software

- Delete channels, restart Roku, then re-download them

- Change the HDMI port my Roku is plugged into

- Reboot my internet router

- Factory reset Roku

- Update the wireless channel

I continue to experience streaming issues. While HBO Now seems to work fine, on demand WWE Network content cannot play without being interrupted; live content streams fine.

At this point, I feel like I’m losing hope. I’ve tried EVERYTHING possible, including things I’m sure I forgot to list above, and still this issue persists. I’ve also had an interruption streaming Hulu recently, similar to the previous issues with HBO Now, Showtime and WWE.

0 Kudos
Kep

I'm having the same issue for about 2 weeks now. Before that I haven't used Roku for over a month.  I tried all of the recommended fixes too.   I'm wondering if the sticks fail?

0 Kudos
glr2472
Channel Surfer

I'm having the same issue but only with Amazon Prime video, it will play any video for about a minute then start buffering before showing a screen that there was an error. I've contacted Amazon about it and followed pretty much the same steps outlined by Roku even a factory reset but same issue. I have 500Mbps service, a have a very good Asus router that is only two years old running a 5GHz signal with the Roku stick within 3 feet from it. I've run speed test on the Roku device and clocks around 65Mbps which is plenty for streaming so not sure what the issue is.

I suspect it's the stick and not Amazon because I can stream any video from Amazon on two laptops simultaneously plus on the Prime video app on my phone, which I did just to test. I purchased the Roku stick in 2020 so it's not that old. I just don't know why the issue is only with Prime video and why this only started happening about a month ago.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @glr2472

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

You've mentioned that you've tried several steps outlined by Roku to resolve the issue you're experiencing. Aside from performing a factory reset on your Roku device, please provide us with the other troubleshooting you've done so we know what steps we should take next.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
glr2472
Channel Surfer

Hello Kariza,

I have removed and re-added Prime video, restarted Roku device, checked for updates, restarted my router, connected the Roku device to a different HDMI port on the TV, contacted Prime video which pretty much told me to do the above steps. 

Now I'm noticing the audio cuts out for a couple of seconds on other streaming channels. None of these issues occur when I watch any of the streaming channels on my laptop. What is the hidden wireless many used for, diagnostics? I noticed the glitch error fluctuates between 25-160, does that represent dropped data packets?

My brother who also experienced similar issues with the Roku stick said he had to buy another one and the issues got resolved so that tells me the device is probably built to last no more than 1-2 years and force people to buy a new one.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@glr2472

Thanks for the response.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku stick? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos