Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyanPm40
Level 8

Re: Selecting a netflix channel loses HDMI signal

After getting this problem yet again, I unplugged it and plugged it back in for the 2nd time today, and now it won't turn back on again. I get the bouncing Roku screen and then it just keeps flickering white static to a black background. I think 9.2 officially bricked my 2 month old device. I'm so angry right now. I should have just saved up for another Apple TV. It is completely unusable.
68redlines
Level 7

@RokuTannerD 

I noticed the issue on Monday Nov 4 2019. The issue only happens with Netflix - Prime, Hulu, etc work with no issues.

My Setup:

Roku 4630X Roku Premiere+

Software Ver. 9.2.0 Build 4131-29

Display Type is set to Auto Detect, showing 4K HDR at 30Hz HDCP 2.2 detected.

The Roku is connected via HDMI to a HDMI HDCP 2.2 port on a Yamaha TSR-7810 A/V Receiver.

Then HDMI from the A/V Receiver to a Samsung 55" 4K UHD HDR TV into HDMI 1 port (not ARC) that is set to HDR Color on.

I do pay for the 4K package with Netflix.

Mon Nov 4 2019 was the first time to use since before Halloween.

So, TV, A/V Receiver and Roku all on.

1. Select Netflix. Netflix logo displays, then screen goes dark.

2. Message from TV stating no HDMI connection detected in HDMI 1.

3. Turn off A/V and TV, then turn back on (order does not seem to matter): about half the time Netflix will then show main screen. And sometimes when Netflix would come back, it would briefly flash the warning about non-HDCP compliance, but that would go away.

4. Go back to Roku Home screen, then try Netflix again: most of the time crashes again. Repeat power down/power up process.

After reading previous posts, found the following that works, but I have to do this each time in order to get Netflix to work.

1. Power A/V, TV, and Roku on - order does not seem to matter.

2. DO NOT select Netflix. On the Roku, I go to Settings>Display Type. Autodetect is checked.

3. I started with checking 1080p and worked my way through 4K 30Hz, 4K 60hz, and 4K HDR 30 Hz. Each time Netflix started without issue. Also after each success, I would power everything off, turn on again, make sure the display type showed what I had just set it to, then launch Netflix - no issue. Repeated process for those Display Types.

4. HOWEVER, I receive a repeat of the crashing issue only when the Display Type was set to Autodetect (even though it said it was detecting 4K HDR 30 Hz) OR when I set the Display Type to 4K HDR 60 Hz. The TV can do 4K HDR 30 Hz, but not 4K HDR 60 Hz - so that was expected - but Roku usually shows a message that setting is not supported. BUT there has never been an issue with Autodetect previously to this.

I know it's a long read, but I wanted to include details - hopefully it will help some of you. I really hope a Roku Community Manager reads this and passes it along to tech support or the devs. 

Tags (2)
cashlock
Level 7

I am having the same issue -- very frustrating. Here are my details.

What causes the issue:

- Click Netflix button on Roku remote

- Select Netflix app from home screen

What happens:

- Get TV error that nothing is connected to my HDMI input

Roku info: Model 3810X - Roku Streaming Stick+

Software version: 9.2.0 build 4131-50

TV: Vizio M55-D0

0 Kudos
mpompey0110
Level 8

I hear you man. I've used Roku products for years and this is the first time I've had this type of experience.

Whether you go out and grab Apple or Amazon products is entirely up to you of course. But that is no guarantee that the same thing won't happen with their stuff down the line. Companies are cutting Q/A and trying the "Test By Prod" method all the time. Microsoft is pushing out updates that are bricking computers for goodness sake.

Over the past few days we have established that it isn't user error, cables, a particular model display, etc. The question is how long before they roll this back or push a fix out to us. That will be the litmus test for me. If they handle this mess up appropriately I'm going stick around. They botch it, I'll move to Amazon.

0 Kudos
Dendog
Level 7

Re: Since 9.2 Netflix won’t start unless I boot Roku 4K box

I had to force 4K 60hz to get mine to work.  4K 30hz would not load. 

Steve24
Level 7

I am having the same issue with my Ultra that is connected directly to Ethernet.  Following the 9.2.0 update when selecting NETFLIX channel the screen goes dark followed by a brief white flash, and then a dark screen with the error message to select another input.  The other channels on my Ultra (Prime, YouTubeTV, SPectrum, The Weather Channel, etc.) all play and work fine.  The NETFLIX APP on my Firestick loads and plays just fine - so the issue, in my opinion, appears to be related to the NETFLIX APP and the 9.2.0 ROKU software update.  In addition to being a multiple device ROKU owner I am also a shareholder and would appreciate some remedy here.

0 Kudos
mpompey0110
Level 8

For me, the thing that is most frustrating is that it was we consumers who diagnosed and identified the problem, but official communication from Netflix has been lacking or non-existent about where they are in the process of fixing the issue or ETA. 

I need to research what other streaming device supports 4K HDR with Netflix as well as the Plex App.

0 Kudos
jmedarts
Level 7

Same issue with the Netflix app. Roku Ultra box. First I noticed I was not getting content that used to be in 4K in 4K on Netflix last week, then the no video from the app started. Selecting 4K 60Hz gets me Netflix again (and in 4K), the HDR resolutions trigger the issue. But the Roku box eventually sets itself back to auto detect.  This needs a software update ASAP please.

0 Kudos
clinspace
Level 7

Same here

mostly same equipment, same process, same steps to fix, no solutions. I cant believe Netflix cant fix this immediately. I'm about to drop them anyway.

0 Kudos
Sputnik42
Level 7

Re: Same here

I've discovered that each time I power down the system, the Roku reverts to 'autodetect' on its own. So until there is an update, you need to change the display setting to avoid any HDR setting each time you turn your system on if you're gonna watch Netflix. 

0 Kudos