Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Twothangs
Level 7

Re: Selecting a netflix channel loses HDMI signal

Having this exact same problem
0 Kudos
skanagal16
Level 7

I fixed this issue by changing the HDMI Auto-Detect settings on my ROKU. I changed it to 1080P and that solved it. The Netflix app started to open up with no issues. I haven't tried other options. 

Anyway, this is bad. My TV is 4K capable and I am watching content on 1080p. Is the root cause identified? 

0 Kudos
RyanPm40
Level 8

Issue with Netflix on Roku - No picture and Crashing Behavior.

There seems to be a bug where Netflix is completely crashing Roku systems and the devices need to be unplugged and plugged back in to work. Reddit post here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/dqscwc/netflix_crashes_roku_ultra/?utm_medium=android_app&utm...

Post quote:
"The past two days, I've gone to play an episode of a show on Netflix, and the entire Roku crashes. As in, the input stops displaying anything on my TV as if it isn't plugged into the TV. I can see the white light on the Roku even reacting to button presses on the remote, but nothing shows on the TV. I have to unplug the whole Roku and plug it back in when this happens

It's happened twice so far. Hasn't happened with Hulu or YouTube. Was there a recent update to Netflix? Is this happening to anyone else?

UPDATE #1:

I noticed it crashes the whole system without fail if I watch some YouTube for a bit first and then try to open Netflix by hitting the Netflix button on the remote. But if Netflix is the first thing I open after unplugging and plugging back in, then it works."

Anyone on the Roku team who can fix/address this issue?

[Title updated]

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for sharing all the details. We are currently investigating this issue. If you could, please reply with some additional information regarding your Roku device and home setup: 

- What model of Roku device are you using that encounters this issue? (Settings>System>About) Please feel free to add the Roku product to your post details. 

- Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar? If so, what is the specific brand and model?

- What is the make/model of TV that your Roku device is connected to?

- Which specific channel(s) does this issue occur on? Is it just Netflix, or do you experience this when trying to load other channels as well? 

- What display setting is currently shown as selected in Settings>Display type? Does changing your display type to a specific setting, such as 1080P, help resolve this? 

With additional details, we'll be able to continue looking into this to work towards a resolution. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Scott_C
Level 9

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for sharing all the details. We are currently investigating this issue. If you could, please reply with some additional information regarding your Roku device and home setup: 

- What model of Roku device are you using that encounters this issue? (Settings>System>About) Please feel free to add the Roku product to your post details. 

- Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar? If so, what is the specific brand and model?

- What is the make/model of TV that your Roku device is connected to?

- Which specific channel(s) does this issue occur on? Is it just Netflix, or do you experience this when trying to load other channels as well? 

- What display setting is currently shown as selected in Settings>Display type? Does changing your display type to a specific setting, such as 1080P, help resolve this? 

With additional details, we'll be able to continue looking into this to work towards a resolution. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Hi Tanner,

Everything was working fine until the my latest Roku system update on Nov 1...

- Roku Ultra (4660X)
9.2.0 build 4131-46
DID: CK37A6324703

- I'm not using a soundbar.

- Connect to a Vizio SV471XVT, but using an HDMI to Component converter, because none of the HDMI ports work on my TV anymore. All other devices I use with this converter still work fine with my TV, and my Roku Ultra was working fine with this converter too until the 11/1/2019 Roku system update.
HDMI to Component Converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BBFNHCJ/

- I'm primarily playing Pandora. The channel will keep playing, it's just the video & audio that drop out, so I can't see or hear it anymore. When the signal comes back, the video & audio works again. The channel itself seems to still be progressing just fine in the background during these AV outages. Just sitting at the aquarium screen saver would do this too, so I disabled that.

- I've set the resolution to 1080P. Didn't fix it. I've swapped HDMI cables and that didn't fix it. I even connected an older Roku 3100X to this converter/TV and it works just fine. It's only my updated 4660X that doesn't work now.

Scott

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Scott_C  Thanks for the details here. We don't technically support the use of video signal splitters/converters, but I'll pass your report along to the team. We'd have to recommend trying to connect your device to a standard HDMI port on a TV and see if the issue persists from there. 

Please keep us posted. I'll reach out directly if we need any additional information. 

Thanks,

Tanner 

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
timmn
Level 8

No, it seems to be affecting all content, if it's 4K or not.

0 Kudos
timmn
Level 8

If it's in your choices of display types, try either 4K 30Hz TV or 4K 60Hz TV I set mine to 60Hz, and that seems to resolve most of the issues.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Netflix Crashing Roku

@RyanPm40 

Hi there, 

Thanks for the issue. Please don't cross post content from other sources, or from other users,  if you aren't experiencing an issue directly. See the Roku Community Guidelines for more information. 

If you have an issue that you need help with, please try searching for existing posts, or see our post on how to create a support topic when creating a new post.

Please provide more details about this issue so we can help take a closer look

1. Please describe the exact behavior you are experiencing, step by step from the beginning of use until the issue occurs. 

2. Try uninstalling the Netflix channel from the Roku home screen, then restart your device completely from Settings>System>System restart. Once it loads up again, add the Netflix channel back once more—does the same issue occur?

3. Have you contacted Netflix customer support to report the issue with their channel and request any guidance they may be able to offer? 

3. The 'post quote' snippet and 'update #1' description of the issue differs. The 'post quote' states that you see no display, only a black screen and that your device's LED still responds to remote input commands. The 'update #1' snippet states that the device crashes. These appear to be two separate issues. Please clarify. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
RyanPm40
Level 8

Re: Netflix Crashing Roku

Hi there,

Oh okay. I am the one experiencing the issue. I just shared my Reddit post to show that it isn't an isolated incident. My apologies.

1. If I'm watching content on apps other than Netflix for a period of time, and then try to launch Netflix, the entire system crashes. The TV says it doesn't detect anything plugged into the HDMI, despite the Roku being on and the white light on the Roku reacting to button presses. The only fix is to unplug and plug back in.
2. Netflix will open and work fine if it's the first thing used after plugging back in

Neither of the things I wrote conflict with each other. By crashing, I mean that the system freezes for a moment, then nothing displays on the TV, and the TV does not recognize an HDMI signal.

Others are experiencing the issue since the latest Roku OS update.

I have not reached out to Netflix but figured it's Rokus responsibility since it happened after the software update to 9.2 and other Roku users are experiencing the same.

I will try to remove the channel and reboot
0 Kudos