Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akent35
Level 10

Re: Selecting a netflix channel loses HDMI signal

Hope folks don't mind another update.  I went ahead and selected "Auto Detect" for the Display Setting on my Roku Ultra 4661R directly connected to our Samsung UN65JU7100 SMART TV, and after "accepting" it (remember, that TV does not have HDR), when I select Netflix, the screen initially is blank, then the Samsung-generated message about issues with my Set Top Box (ie, the Roku Ultra) appears, but then the horizontal "list" of our Netflix profiles appears.  Also, not having issues with YouTube TV, as even with the "detection" of HDR, the channels on YouTube TV are fine.

In any event, I just changed the Display Setting to 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), and everything is fine, including Netflix behaving fine.

0 Kudos
Draupadi913
Level 9

Thanks for the specificity of these details!  I followed your instructions, and you’re absolutely right.  I see the info in the upper left hand corner, and it is running in 1080p with my Display Type in “Auto Detect”, even though program is in HDR format.  So I changed the “Display Type” to one of the 4k’s.  And now when I see the Netflix info in upper left-hand corner, it’s running in 2160p (4K).  

All this confirms that there is STILL a problem with the Roku firmware.  I hope we get a complete and solid resolution with the next firmware update.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
akent35
Level 10

"Thanks for the specificity of these details!"

You're most welcome, and I am glad to help.

Yes, there still seems to be an issue with the Roku firmware.  Still perplexed why Auto Detect "thinks" my TV has HDR features.  Also, prior to my issue with Netflix in late October/early November, and without the recent 9.2 update, I had no issues at all, even though the Display Setting was being Auto Detected as 4K HDR 30Hz (HDCP 2.2).  Obviously something happened with the "Roku system" around that time.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@raven4 Thanks for sharing the extra details here. To test and compare, does the same behavior occur in these channels if your Roku device is connected directly to your TV, bypassing your receiver? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

@RokuTannerD

I see where you addressed the post above to @raven4:

"Thanks for sharing the extra details here. To test and compare, does the same behavior occur in these channels if your Roku device is connected directly to your TV, bypassing your receiver? "

I would like to "add" on to that, along with asking you for some information/assistance:

First, both of our Roku Ultra 4661R models are connected directly from the Roku device to our Samsung TVs.

Secondly, as I previously mentioned, either via "Auto Detection" or manually selected, on our Samsung SMART TV, the Display Setting "4K HDR 30Hz (HDCP 2.2)" caused issues with Netflix.  Ironically, the Display Setting of "4K HDR 60Hz (HDCP 2.2)" did not cause issues with Netflix, but instead issues with YouTube TV.  I currently have the Display Setting at 4K 60Hz (HDCP 2.2), and things are good.

What I'd like to know is the following:

1.  Why does the Auto Detect "feature" detect the HDR feature?  Our Samsung SMART TV does not have that feature.

2.  The "Hz" part of the Display Setting, does that refer to Frames Per Second?  If it does, how do I determine the FPS rate?  And if it's not 60Hz, would it be better if I choose a Display Setting of 4K 30Hz (HDCP 2.2)?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@akent35 To help address the first question, your Roku will detect a display type based on the information it receives from your TV. There are multiple types of HDR that can be encoded within content, in both 1080P and 4K formats. I'm not sure what capabilities your TV may be advertising that cause your Roku to recognize HDR compatibility, or a channel to be able to deliver HDR content to the TV. I would need to refer you to contact Samsung support for more information and any additional questions. 

For your second question, Hz refers to a TV's refresh rate. This is different than frames per second encoding within content. If you have questions about Hz related to your TV and what would be ideal for content playback, I'd also recommend that you contact the TV manufacturer who can best speak to the capabilities and features of your TV, and which settings would help you optimize playback. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

"

To help address the first question, your Roku will detect a display type based on the information it receives from your TV. There are multiple types of HDR that can be encoded within content, in both 1080P and 4K formats. I'm not sure what capabilities your TV may be advertising that cause your Roku to recognize HDR compatibility, or a channel to be able to deliver HDR content to the TV. I would need to refer you to contact Samsung support for more information and any additional questions. 

For your second question, Hz refers to a TV's refresh rate. This is different than frames per second encoding within content. If you have questions about Hz related to your TV and what would be ideal for content playback, I'd also recommend that you contact the TV manufacturer who can best speak to the capabilities and features of your TV, and which settings would help you optimize playback. 

Hope that helps! "

@RokuTannerD

Thank you for the reply.

First, here are the specifications for our Samsung SMART 65" TV, Model UN65JU7100:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-u4gdmfeFYmG/p_30565J7100/Samsung-UN65JU7100.html

As you can see, nowhere does it say that TV has HDR capabilities.

Secondly, I understand that Hz refers to Refresh Rate, not Frames Per Second.  If that is the case, then why is the maximum figure in the Display Settings 60Hz?  The refresh rate of our TV is 120Hz, and thus the Display Setting, via Auto Detect, is incorrect.  Also, as I mentioned above, I have set the Display Setting to 4K 60Hz (HDCP 2.2), but that is actually "below" what it should be.  How do you explain that?

raven4
Level 8

The behavior is the same when connected directly to the Sony TV.

mpompey0110
Level 9

Been a faithful Roku customer for years. Always recommended their products. I have 2 roku +, a roku ultra, and a TCL Smart TV with Roku embedded in it. I know all of you guys have been putting in alot of your time and energy trying to solve the issues. But I simply gave up.

Not to be that guy, but I just switched out my Ultra for an Nvidia Shield and all my problems are gone. Netflix in 4K HDR with Atmos. Something Roku said Netflix doesn't with my display, but yet here I am watching Season 2 of Lost in Space and the picture and the sound is better than ever.

I will be moving my Ultra out of my theater room and to another TV where the issue won't be as big of a deal. If you can make the switch to the Shield, go for it. You will not be disappointed.

0 Kudos
baddceo
Level 10

I dont see youtubetv app.  Is that on there yet?

0 Kudos